Starting solids

ok, my baby is 6 months and i am going to start my baby on solids. She currently drinks 7 ounces of formula for each bottle. I know your supposed to start with only solids once a day, but do I still give her a bottle before or after that feeding? Or do I supplement it with the solid?
Thank you!

jenna_rose

Asked by jenna_rose at 1:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Solids are supplemental feeding,. whether bottle or breast,. Bottle FIRST, solids after, all the way to the first birthday. That ensures baby gets everything needed. Solids first risks shortchanging baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Bottle first ALWAYS. Before one, that IS her nutrition. Foods are just for practice, not, for nutrition.

Can she sit unassisted, bring food to her mouth and chew? If so, I would suggest looking into baby led solids. It's more in tune with her physical readiness than just her age and the norm.

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-baby-led-solids-is-and-isnt.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I only followd "rules" with my first baby...before i knew better. WIth my next 3 boys i just fed the solids as i saw necessary. Each one of my boys required different needs when it came to solids. By my 3rd baby i fed him solids at 7 months old and i started with fruits. With my 4th baby...he went right to table food at 6 months...he did not like any type of baby cereal or food.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Typically you are always supposed to offer a bottle and food. But my baby wouldn't do that. I give her food, then an hour and a half later I give her a bottle, then and hour and a half later I give her food and so on. That is how we finally got her onto a feeding schedule. Your baby will end up letting you know how she needs fed. But I would start with one food a day and a bottle too. That is how we started and it evolved into the schedule we have now.
    teachermama924

Answer by teachermama924 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2011