How do I get my daughter to help pick up her toys?

She is 22 1/2 month old.

TeresaM35

Asked by TeresaM35 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• SHOW her what you want her to do. Make it a game, HELP her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We literally had to guide my son step by step. It's actually more work than picking them up by myself but he's almost 3 now and can usually just be told to pick them up on his own. But we had to walk him over to every toy, one by one, instruct him to pick it up, walk him over to the toy box, instruct him to put it in, walk back over to another toy....etc. It's trying but who said parenting isn't!
    Anonymous

• Make her help or take the toys away. As she gets older make her understand the rules if she dosnt pick them up, they go bay bye.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Make it a game. Sing a "clean-up" song while you're doing it. Tell her she is such a big girl for helping Mommy. The more enjoyable you make it, the more likely she is to help without you asking.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• YOu can try to make a game out of it. Encourage her by singing a clean up song..you can make up an ol song " Clean up Clean up..me and you clean up clean up cause its what we like to do" ,lol..thats one that we sing. I begin, my 2 year old happily follows.
    Good Luck! Its defintiley a training process!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• kimberly's idea is awesome!

Answer by older at 2:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We usually sing "Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody, Everywhere, Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody do your share." That seems to make it more interesting. Also, my 3-year-old DD like it when I count as she cleans up because she wants to see how fast she can get it done. :o) Good luck!
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 2:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

***

this. have her pick up the cars first balls next dolls after that- or go by color blue then yellow, then red...
    sing and help her. They need direction on what to do- if you jsut say clean up, I think it's like they jsut don't know where to start you know? this will also help as they get into elementary years- give them direction do this first-this 2nd... and help them :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• show her what you want do it with her as you are telling her what you want from her as you pick up the toys and do it every day and at the same time every day and say the same thing what you want her to do with the toys. you can even do it with a song or colors or ABC or #'s some thing to have her remember it and like it so she will want to pick up the toys. when we are putting our shoes on i sing a song its more fun too. then after a while you tell her you want to see her do it on her own pick up her own toys by her self.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with making a game out of it. Depending on her age, make it fun not so much like a chore.
    Wiccangirl24

Answer by Wiccangirl24 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011