Wisdom teeth

How bad is getting them removed? What can I expect afterward? Will I be able to care for my kids the next day? Thanks ladies!!!

rhonda111787

Asked by rhonda111787 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Health

• I had mine taken out about a month ago.
    They numbed me and used laughing gas because I needed to be alert with my daughter. Drove myself and whatnot. I hurt (nothing terrible...just throbbing) for the first 3 days. However, they send you home with an antibiotic, vicodin, and Ibruprophen 800 mg.

I couldn't open my mouth very wide for like 2 1/2 weeks. But I was eating the day they took them out. Wasn't really swollen or anything.

The worst part about the whole process is that my dentist told me not to brush my teeth for 3 days...TOTAL SUCKAGE! lol And you'll have some nice dragon breath hahaha
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Everyone responds differently to surgery. I had two out once at 24 and I was laid up for 3 full days. Had the upper two out 2 months later and I was fine as soon as the anesthesia wore off. It also depends if they are impacted. If they are, it is much worse. I would suggest have all of them out at same time and get it over with.
    carol2kiddos

Answer by carol2kiddos at 2:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Depends on a lot of things: how well you handle pain, how impacted they are....
    My hubby just had his done. He has an extreme high tolerance for pain EXCEPT for areas of the eyes and mouth. He had one that gave them troubles removing, had excess bleeding. He was on mushy diet for 3-4 days. He got REALLY swollen on the 2nd day. He looked like a chip monk storing food for winter.
    Do as the doctors tell you. If you have small ones, I'd try to have help with the lifting part of your mommy duties the day after.
    Good Luck
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Well, I don't know if you want to hear my story, but here goes...

I had my lower left impacted tooth extracted two months ago. It was running through a nerve, so I knew going in there was a potential for nerve damage. Sure enough, two months later I still don't have feeling in that side of my lip, teeth, or chin. The dentist said it may or may not come back. It's a waiting game. The pain wouldn't have been bad if I hadn't gotten a dry socket that didn't want to heal. It was the worst pain of my life.

However, that being said, my case was a rare one. Before I got the dry socket the pain wasn't that bad at all. I'm sure yours will go better than mine. I'm also 26 and they after 25 there tend to be more complications. Best of luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Oh...and I forgot to mention...mine had an extra root than is typical, AND the it was wrapped around the nerve. I just have all the luck, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• **lovingsahmommy** IM 29!! WAHHH!!!! LOL
    rhonda111787

Comment by rhonda111787 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011