Need help lowering my grocery bill!

We spend about 500 a month on grocery items(not diapers , wipes ect.) family of four but one is only 6 months so she does not  eat much!

I have no idea how to lower it because we do not get anything we dont eat!

We get lunchmeat, bread and mayonaise or mustard for work lunches

we only drink water so we get bottled water or propel

other items we get weekly are yougurt, milk, cheese, chicken (the bag kind-we eat this every day for lunch so cant do away with this) peanut butter, eggs, cereal, and probably 100.00 worth of vegetables a month (love veggies!)

we do not buy chips, ice cream, cookies ect. the only luxury items we buy is a candy bar once a week and those fiber bars for work lunches.

i pretty much cook the same thing daily--bfast is bacon or pancakes or waffles, lunch is always chicken and veggies or sandwiches and dinner is almost always fish (salmon or tilapia ) and veggies.

i tried cooking casseroles but it just cost too much!

i have tried and tried but i just cannot spend less than 500 . if i skip on something i end up driving back over there to get it.
any ideas, help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Coupons, and cut the water out completely. Purchase a filter (like a PUR) system to keep in your fridge and purchase bottles that can be reused.
    Don't buy if it isn't on sale, purchase store brands, Sit down once a week with the grocery flyer and plan out meals according to what is on sale veggie and meat wise. And fish is expensive.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have a family of five and spend about one hundred a week. I use coupons from kroger, down load to card, mag. all you from walmart with coupons, coupons from the paper. I save about one hundred dollars a week. I plan my list around what is on sale. I even find coupons for the web to print. I also which I can pass on to you if you would like that offers free samples, deals,etc. I get alot of samples in the mail and that helps some to.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Use tap water and flavor it with crystal light, iced tea or lemon juice. If anything you buy comes in a store brand, try it. You will be surprised how good they have gotten lately. Grow a veggie garden this summer, don't be afraid to use canned veggies in the off season, they will save you a ton of money. Use coupons, but only one the things you would buy that are not available in a generic brand. good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Price check on everything you can and buy the cheapest ones. Stop buying bottled water is a good money saver. Fish is expensive. Truthfully I would have to go shopping with you to see what you buy.

Answer by louise2 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I use the following websites: www.southersavers.com, www.coupons.com, www.bargainbriana.com. I also cut out coupons from the paper and get ALL YOU magazine. The magazine is worth getting it always has coupons in it. I used to spend a lot of money but then I started cutting coupons and watching my spending. Good luck!
    spagirl0426

Answer by spagirl0426 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• correction: www.southernsavers.com
    spagirl0426

Answer by spagirl0426 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Check out the prices at local grocery stores-- I found a huge difference between a few stores that literally cut 10% off my bill right there. Be most intent on bottled water, by the jugs and fill them or get a filtration system. Propel sells packets and now they have these little drops that you can put into water that last a while. I don't always have time to cut coupons but I am a member of upromise and go on line and can get deals on any item that I happen to buy on the list when I scan my grocery card and I put money away for my child for some purchases ( 180 dollars over 3 years without the credit card option). I have been finding that if I buy a roast or whole turkey or ham and cook it on Sunday its a whole lot cheaper a source for cold cuts later in the week than cold cuts and tastes better, plus then I can make my own broth for soup or do ham and eggs. Grow some of your own veggies this summer on the patio.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have a family of 3 and I spend $70 for 2 weeks and that includes dog food and diapers n such. I go through the local store ads and then make a dinner menu for 2 weeks. I use leftovers if we have any for lunch. We have eggs/biscuits n gravy/pancakes on weekends for breakfast. Durring the week we eat cereal/toast w/ peanutbutter and fruit/or bacon and toast. I buy sale and use cupons when I can. I actually don't use cupons that often. We always have balanced meals and plenty to eat. Everyday is something diffrent too. I hope this helps.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I say cut out the bottled water & propel - buy reusable bottles (stainless, camelbak, something like that). And if you eat a lot of the same stuff, instead of buying a week's worth at a time, watch the sales ads, and stock up when certain things are on sale (your chicken's on sale this week? buy 2 months worth and freeze it - sure, you'll spend more this week, but you won't be buying it for the next 2 months, or until the next time it's on sale. Same with other things like that.).
    Anonymous

• Instead of lunch meat use peanutbutter, or eggs, or cook roasts to cut up meat. Can you drink your tap water?-buy refillable water bottles. Casseroles usually are cheaper and go a long way using pasta, rice, potatoes. Instead of buying fiber bars make your own homemade granola bars. No mayo-just use mustard. Yogurt is bought in the large tubs, put in smaller containers for work/school. Milk? only for 1 to 2 year olds, under that would be on formula or breast and over that is good with water. No bacon and no cheese, meatless dinners-pastas, beans, rice, legumes, eggs, pancakes, waffles. Fish once a week. Good Luck hope something helps.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2011