A little fun or just plain wrong?

Just a little history here ~ my family is both black and white ~ we have lots of mixed couples going back for generations - so if you looked at my family tree it almost looks as if some genealogist got two different families mixed up and put some people in the wrong place. My a search of my family name would yield a set of black relatives and a set of white relatives.... if you go far enough back, you find out that we all branched from the same family.

I've always celebrated having a mixed family - recently, while shopping I found a t-shirt and HAD to have it... DH told me that I better not buy it - the store clerk told me I might get my butt whooped if I wore it in public....

I bought it: I wore it, and the response was overwhelmingly hilarious. LOTS of people asked me about it, lots of people pointed at it... only a very few seemed offended.

The t-shirt says "Smart, Beautiful & Black" - I'm white.

Would you believe that of the numbers of people who seemed offended - it was almost an equal number between blacks and whites. But then I don't care... I'm as proud of my black heritage as I am of my white or Native American heritage.
And I'll give anyone here a cool $10 if you can guess who I am.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I would have had to look twice... make sure I read it right.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I probably would have been confused lol
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• There are lots of white looking people who happen to be black. Id be more worried your family tree descends from the same family and didnt fork. LOL But it's a funny shirt to see a white woman wearing. But I have a warped sense of humor.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Laughed it off.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 2:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Obama?

Answer by louise2 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think it is cool. I am also from a mixed backrgound Russian/Jewish and Mexican. So, the mix just looks "white". It is amazing how many people feel like it is okay to badmouth either one or the other of those cultures in front of me because they cannot tell what I am. And, boy, do they get an earfull!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Are you the same person who said "look how young I am." from a recent post? I'm Glad your having a Great ME day!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Get this. And my husband's side of the family can be traced to common ancestors of both Bush AND Obama. How funny is that? They actually have their genes mixing!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with your logic... but I can understand why someone might find that offensive... I mean the people walking down the street dont know anything about you, not your family tree, nothing. So all they see is a white women wearing a shirt saying that. I think it almost would look like you were making fun of people and their feelings... I know it wasnt your intention but you need to think before you do things like that. but otherwise yay for you trying to make a statement, even though they didnt get it :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I might have been confused, but I wouldn't be offended. Why would someone get offended over that?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011