If your sister (or neighbor, cousin, friend) .......

needed some money for food and you gave it to her (lets save about $200 -$400, which seems about the average for food stamps), how would you feel if the next day she used some of the money she had saved up to go a trip to Las Vegas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• i would be upset but that doesnt make sense because there is no way you can use your food stamps to go on vacation.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would have to think twice before doing it again. Maybe next time just giving enough money for a day or two would be better, such as $30-40.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would be fine with it. Everyone, even people on food stamps, deserve a chance to go to Vegas. I'm on food stamps and WIC (and was on TANF) and I've been to Vegas twice and Disneyworld once while on assistance.

Shame on you for judging people!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt loan her money anymore.

Answer by gemgem at 4:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Totally pissed!!!! Food is more important than vacationing!!!! Especially if she has kids!! She would not get any more money from me!!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I think what she's saying is she used the foodstamps for food that was given to her instead of money she had in savings and went on a vacation.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• So, then are those that are saying you wouldn't loan $$$ anymore, does that mean people shouldn't get food stamps if they go to Disney World? (See the posts below)
    Anonymous

• Well, It would bother me quite a bit. But then again, I wouldn't lend money to someone if I was completely depending on it coming back. In other words, I would give a gift of money for the food (or perhaps pay for it at the grocery store) and not expect any payback. But using your example, if I was told it was necessary for a friend or family member to have financial help with food, I would be really bothered if they had money but decided to devote it to a vacation instead of being responsible for their own needs.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Anon 3:24

The poster gave her either money or foodstamps because she said she needed food although she already had money but didn't want to spend HER cash on food....so she took money from the poster and then went on vacation with the money she had saved. That's wrong. Begging for money to eat because you don't want to spend your own money.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• The anology is I think instead of the govt giving food stamps, what if we actually were the ones handing cash over to the friends or neighbor and instead of using the money for food they went on vacation. That would mean they lied. They didnt need money for food because thats why they would have asked for a loan. They went on vacation with it instead. Its kinda a bad analogy I think because ppl on food stamps cant spend them on anything other then food.

Answer by gemgem at 4:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2008