Can you help with ideas on K-5th grade themed art project focusing on Believing in Yourself!?!?!

My daughter’s elementary school (K-5) is having a workshop focusing on building self-esteem through the fine arts. The theme is “Believe in Yourself” and I have volunteered to teach a class on art or crafts. Artistically inclined parents will be leading the instructions in dance or music or in my case, drawing or painting.

I need some ideas on how to incorporate the theme and teach a skill (shading or using color wheel) or teach them about an art movement (pop art or symbolism).

I need help brainstorming!

Thanks~

MOMMYofLENNON

Asked by MOMMYofLENNON at 2:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Each child gets a large poster board. Lots and lots of magazines of all sorts. Have the kids bring in a picture of themselves.
    Start with an empty poster board, have them make a collage of picture cut-outs from the magazines that they like or identify with. When that is done, cut the kid's picture in a circle and paste it in the center. Cut out individual letters from the magazines to write their first name below the picture . . . . and any other goals/dreams that thie kids may have in random places.

You wind up with a celebration of the individual on poster.

Just an idea.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Maybe you could tell an inspirational story about an artist who raised themselves up out of poor circumstances, show some of their work, and then have students try to do their own version of that work?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My dd just did a project in art class but it wasnt a drwaing. They cut out pictures from a magazine to show things that arent real. Surrealism maybe? They had things like a baby stepping on a car, or made an animal with a person face...

Maybe the idea could be JUST BE REAL!

I like the other ideas too!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Another idea would be to talk about a personal MANDALA and hand out circles. Have the kids decorate the madala with their favorite things. This winds up being wonderful artwork to fram and hang in their rooms.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• See what her God given talents & gifts are, what things make her unique and go from there!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011