Dog Tie out

Has anyone ever bought and used a Dog Tie out? The kind with a thick cable and 2 pulley wheels on the top and bottom of the cable? You mount it between 2 heavy trees. I have a med large black lab mix that I currently have to walk, and Im not willing to fence our back yard. We have several acres of wooded property and a fence will ruin the look of the place. If you have one do they work well? Is the dog happy to run however long it is back and forth? Do it fall off the cable and the dog run away? Thanks for your time ladys.

vbruno

Asked by vbruno at 2:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pets

• I know people that have used them and liked them... mostly for small to medium dogs though. If she was stubborn with the shock collar she might also be stubborn with this too and if she's bigger she will probably be able to get away. I would definitely suggest using a harness instead of a collar that way it won't pull off as easily and it can't choke her if she pulls on it.
    They do make invisible fence/shock collars for stubborn dogs lol That's what my dogs have.
    This one... http://www.radiofence.com/products/PetSafe-Stubborn-Dog-Fence-Collar.html
    It may sound mean but it keeps them much safer than if they were to run away. Our dogs very rarely even get shocked because they know where their boundaries are and have been trained by it not to go passed them.
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You need to check state laws. Some states prohibit dog tie outs unless you are physcially out there with them. If not a fence maybe a dog run would work. or an electric fence?
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Are you wanting to use it as a short term thing or long term thing? What amounts of time will the dog be spending on the run?
    If it's just going to be used for quick potty breaks then I would say it shouldn't be an issue...
    If you're wanting to use it as a "babysitter" type thing for long periods of time you should get a kennel instead.
    Dogs that are tied out frequently and for long periods of time can become neurotic and develop aggression.
    It also should not be used if you're not going to be home or paying attention because it makes them a sitting target for other animals, people, bugs, etc.
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We can have them here in SC thats not an issue here.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We tried the shock collar electric fence. My dog is stubborn, and it didnt faze her. We also have a dog pen but she digs deep hopes when put in it.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Our neighbors use one of those, and they have lab mixes. Their dogs are getting loose all the time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• No no baby sitter thing. An hour or less so she can run around and sniff all the things she wants to and to chase butterfly's. I walk her 6 times a day down the road to the field with cows and around it and back.. About a mile and a half each time. It gets tiring. I hate it when people chain a dog out in the weather. Id like to put her outside when we have dinner so she dosnt beg or drool at us. LOLOL
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I use one and got it specifically for a large breed. I use it mainly for him to go out to do his business but I do regularly keep an eye on him while on it. No mishaps yet with this newer trolley system but I did read from reviews that the bolt pops out of the wheel that sits on the cord. I took the wheel off my old trolley so that I wouldn't run into that problem. My dog's predecessor used a trolley as well and only had a few issues with the clip that goes on the actual collar not closing properly. I do like the freedom it gives him to sniff around but do make sure that where you install it to place it far enough away from any obstacles that your pet could otherwise hang itself on like other fences, etc.

Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks for the heads up ANL221 on the harness. Never thought about a choking hazard for her. Also Philly247 Thanks for your input as well. Iv looked at several different kinds of them. We have allot of open space for the backyard before the trees start and enough room in the back to give her about 200 feet in the openness of the backyard between trees on either side. All of you lady's I appreciate your time to answer my question.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011