Laminate/hardwood floors installation

Anyone know how much it would cost to take out tile floors (wall to wall) and replace with laminate hardwood for approx 1500 sq feet. Obviously the type of laminate will increase or decrease depending on the quality of it- but I'm just trying to get an idea.

Samanthamommy

Asked by Samanthamommy at 3:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We used lumber liquidators. If you find something you like on their site, you can calculate approximate cost :)

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I couldn't tell you what it would approximately cost you. There are some factors that would have to be considered like whether the tile is on sub-flooring or on a cement slab. If it is on a sub-floor, is there damage. If so, it will have to be replaced before the new floor can go in. Then you have to consider labor costs and the cost of the new floor. I don't envy you. That is a lot of surface area to work on. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It'll be on the subfloor, but there should be no damage. We ripped out part of the tile and replaced it when we first moved in due to damage, and DH has been going under the house often to make sure there has been no further damage. But yes, I don't envy myself either- hahha. I just really want laminate because wall to wall tile is not attractive in my area.

Thanks for the link, Renee!
    Samanthamommy

Comment by Samanthamommy (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• IDK but I would go by home depot I am sure you could find out there
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If you can do install it yourseld, an interlocking laminate with attached padding (waterproofer) underneath can be REALLY cost-effective. I think we picked it up on sale for about 1.75 per square foot from Home Depot. (For a nice quality one). Costco sells a beautiful high-quailty laminate right now for about that . . I would go check it out.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Oh, and if you are looking for someone to install it, it will cost twice as much . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• What imaginationmama said..my mom did our living room, kitchen and my bedroom in the laminant hardwood, and it was easy, and very cost effective! Good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 7:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My BIL replaced his floors with it. He said it was the cheapest alternative at the time. (He had water damage on hardwood.)
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 8:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have no idea, but I would call a company and get an estimate.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Do your research! Make sure that the flooring you buy is in your home for the recommended time for acclimation or you might have serious expansion and contraction issues which leads to cupping or other problems. My DH told me just this AM about how someone had hardwood flooring put in the basement, which has a cement floor. (The installers are there to do only one thing and that is to install your flooring.) They didn't do a moisture test or put down a moisture barrier or something. Now, there is an area of flooring that has swelled about a foot high. The installers are refusing to come back and fix it. I would hate for you to have a problem later.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011