Friends don't want to come to my kids' birthday party if it's at my home...

My kids' birthdays are all very close so we have one big party for them all, instead of several small parties back to back. Due to an incident that occured recently in my neighborhood (shots were heard being fired), my friends have left hints that unless the party is elsewhere, they wouldn't feel comfortable coming. Well, I'm not made of a million dollars, and it's expensive to hold parties away from the home. I understand their concern, but I think it's a bit extreme, considering things like that happen in any area. What do you suggest I do? Have a party at my home for the few people who will show up or spend a bunch of money to have it elsewhere? (party will be first week in June and while I'd like to have it outdoors at a park, you can't guarantee weather)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I like the other's idea of having the party at a park, or if that is not an option do you have a friend/family member who would allow you to have the party at their house?
    My oldest 2 have birthdays a week apart and like you I have a 'together' party and invite the family, and sometimes a few of their friends. My house is very small and is in a different city than my family. So what I do is have the party at my mom's house- it is bigger and everyone can get to it easier than mine.
    Another option-- if you are a church goer- ask if you could use the church hall or a meeting room for the party.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would have it at the park and if the weather is scheduled to be bad then move it to your house. If nothing else happens in the neighborhodd between now and the party then your friends may get over it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I definitely understand their concern, I wouldn't come if the neighborhood wasn't potentially safe. I agree with the other ladies at the park with a covered pavillion - there MUST be somewhere you could do it that wouldn't cost a fortune. How about asking another mom to host it for you and you'll do all the work.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Local parks are free unless you rent a building.
    Anonymous

• I say if you can't have it outdoors in a park due to weather being crazy, have it at your house, less money and it's at the comfort of your childs house =].
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Do it at a park in one of the shelters.That is what we did for DS's first birthday party because our house is to small for the family. Or you could do it at another relatives or friends home.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• With it being in June..I'd take my chances with the weather and have it at a park...maybe find one with a pavilion?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would look for a park that has some sort of covered tables. Otherwise if that is not an option, stay home. Its your kids and your money! Me personally I'd rather give my kids a nice gift they'll remember than spending way to much on a party that last only lasts a couple hours.
    willngingersmom

Answer by willngingersmom at 3:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would risk the park and set a rain date or perhaps there is a Son's of Italy/VFW or Knights that you can rent out for short money. Perhaps your friends are being overly dramatic but they aren'[t completely off the mark either so I would go with this as a battle not worth fighting with them.Maybe instead of having a big pricey bash you take your kids and perhaps one guest somewhere extra special and do a cake for just the fam at home.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks so much for the ideas!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011