Positive blue dye tests

Hey girls, this isn't actually a question I just wan't to make sure this information gets out to all the girls who will be Googling threads on blue dye tests. I took several blue dye tests this month and got several false positives. I started testing about 8 days before my missed period thinking that even though it was early, if I was making enough HcG to have symptoms it should show on a test. From there and throughout the next 3 days I continued to test with Equate blue dye tests (with 2 lines, not ) and continued to get positives. They were somewhat faint but definitely blue, came up within 2 minutes, very thin, and slightly off center. I used several tests, some from the same box and some from different boxes. These were false positives. There is no garauntee that yours will be a false positive too, but the odds seem to be much higher than these being true positives. I would take the advice of most women out there and not trust results you get from a blue dye test. I did some online research and found an overwhelming amount of women who got such convincing positives, went in for bloods with a negative result, and started their period shortly after. There is always a possibility that your blue positive could be real but I would not take the risk of being disappointed if it isn't. Save yourself some heartache and use pink dyes! Good luck girls!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You aren't supposed to test until you have missed your cycle by one week. Anything sooner and yes, you can get many false readings.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I know, it was really dumb to test early! I asked my BIL who is an RN if HcG caused pregnancy symptoms and he said yes. So I reasoned that if I had enough HcG to create symptoms then I should have enough to get a positive test. That was the only reason I tested so early, but definitely won't do that again! All that did was make me 2x the nutcase that entire week, b/c it wasn't showing on any other test. That of course made me wonder if the blue dyes were more sensitive then the pink, was I just not pregnant, was I having a chemical pregnancy, etc. I found it is best to NEVER test until you miss a period!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes...I know it's hard to wait, but, to keep from having a stroke deciding if it's really right or not...or thinking you are and then the period comes..always wait. :)
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree! :) My husband about hit the end of his rope from me testing early lol. He actually cut me off for the month, no more buying tests and no more "wait don't throw it away! I think I see a line!"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Did you check the expiration date on the tests?? Testing with an expired test will also give false resultsand let's face it, some stores will not check the merchandise for expiration dates. But anyways, yeah if there are a lot of complaints about certain tests, then don't go get one. thanks for sharing.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011