Do you think that mainstreaming a child in school places them in the arms of kids who do not understand them or do they adjust to being differant than the others

I know academically it is probably a good thing but I am so worried everyone will make fun of him, or be mean to him and he will not be able to handle that.I may just be overprotective so I just tell myself that happens in special ed classes too and I just have to teach him to deal withit and that if we were all the same the world would be dull n boring, what do you think?Same as special ed or harder?

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• In my experience children are more accepting then adults. Yes bullying does happen, it's very real, but typically it's in older children who hear mom and dad spreading hatred. I've worked in special ed. for years, I've seen many children mainstreamed from severe ADHD on down to deaf children, and I rarely have seen bullying of these kids. If anything usually a student, or group, take the peer "under their wing" sorta speak and watch out for them. Usually young girls take on that motherly role, and it can be overbearing at times, and very helpful at others, but all in all the child means well. I've also noted many children make fun of what they don't understand, so by alienating the child in Special ed. they're viewed as "different" and "scary". By mainstreaming them, the child becomes susy, or johnny, not "that special ed kid". They're viewed as "one of us" and that's as far as it goes.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It can be really hard for the child. They can get bullied and teased. What i don't get is,if a child is comfortable where they r,why move them into an uncomfortable situation?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The problem is eventually they will have to learn to deal with people who are not as understanding of their problem. It suck but it is true, even adults are not accepting of people differences/handicaps.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Why is he not mainstreamed? How old is he? Does he have a diagnosis?

My 7 year old is autistic and mainstreamed... I was SCARED... but I knew that if he wasn't mainstreamed he wouldn't be challenged intellectually.
    JandAsMommy

Answer by JandAsMommy at 3:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• He is fixing to be 5 , he has mid to moderate Autism , and a sensory processing disorder
    Brandy928

Comment by Brandy928 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Depends on the school. Some of the mainstreaming is done very well, including teaching the other students to be accepting and helpful with the mainstreamed child. It also helps the child to not feel left out.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah he has ADHD and asmtha too
    Brandy928

Comment by Brandy928 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• He is young, which is good! I think the younger the better for mainstreaming. The worst that happens is you put him back in special education classes. None of the kids in my sons class know his diagnosis. (He has SPD too) He has some stimming he does and he has never been made fun of or bullied. I would consult with whoever you wrote his IEP with,
    JandAsMommy

Answer by JandAsMommy at 3:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011