Do you give your baby tummy-time?

DD is 6-months-old. She has just begun sitting on her own in a tripod position. I try to give her tummy-time, too. She doesn't always like it :P I know it is doctor recommended, though. Do you give your baby tummy-time? How much? How often? How do you make it fun? I usually make a point to do it twice a day for about 15 minutes each. We usually play with some toys together on the floor to make it fun.

DragonflyGirls

Asked by DragonflyGirls at 3:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my youngest dd is two months (to the day actually) and we already do 10 minutes of tummy time every day...I always lie on my tummy opisite of her and talk to her while she works her little arms and legs...because she is so young if she fusses I roll her to her back but most days she enjoys it
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes I did when my girls were babies. I'd pretty much let tummy-time go til the baby got fussy about it, lol. Sometimes it was 5 minutes, sometimes it was 20.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I always did tummy time with my boys....i dont usually time it though. I try to give them as much tummy time as they will tolerate. Having toys to entertain them is a great way to make tummy time fun and it also helps strengthen their arms when they begin to reach for the toys.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• yeah. neither of my kids liked it. my 3 yo son did the army crawl-didnt crawl right til after he could walk at 15mths. and my daughter now is almost 9mths-and she doesnt like it either. i just try and make it fun for her on the floor. toys and what not. I try to do it a few times a day like 15mins after she ate. so she doesnt puke. and i let her be on her belly until she doesnt want to any longer. which doesnt last very long-maybe 10-15mins
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Gave my baby tummy time at 6 weeks. She hated it, but it strengthened her neck early and she was sitting around 4 months in shopping carts and such.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I try to give my baby tummy time nearly every day but sometimes I have to put her on her tummy on me because if I put her in the floor or something she will just roll right over because she doesn't like being on her belly
    teachermama924

Answer by teachermama924 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Mine WOULD NOT do tummy time on the floor. Doc wasn't stressed over it. If he did TEN MINUTES on the floor his entire infancy I'd be amazed; I think it was more like five minutes. NOTHING could induce him to like it and I decided it really wasn't worth the hassle.

He did have to be on his tummy for nursing (I leaned back and put him over me to handle the letdown) and he nearly broke my nose by lifting his head from the breast during such a nursing session at two months! So neck strength... NOT an issue. He never crawled but went straight to pulling up and walking.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2011