"Skinny baby"

My son is 15 months old and the doctor is telling me he doesn't weigh enough. He has at least 1200 calories a day, but if I try to feed him more he gets angry or throws up, I don't like the idea of forcing food on him, it seems counterproductive. Now, his father is a naturally thin guy, and my son is tall, and thin but he by no means looks emaciated. Now my doctor is telling me to add butter to all his food because if his weight doesn't keep ont rack with what the average is they will have to "intervene"...and that scares the shit out of me, because now I am scrambling to find ways to get more calories in but it seems like too much and my son is refusing to eat. Also, adding butter to everything seems like such an unhealthy suggestion. His menu today consisted of:

Breakfast- 4 oz milk, 1 egg scrambled w/ cheese, 3 oz oatmeal

Snack- water,4 oz applesauce

Lunch- 4 oz milk, 6 oz fruit and 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich

Snack- yogurt, 3 oz milk

for dinner I was planning 4-5 oz milk and some macaroni and cheese and some peas....

I'm at my wits end...anyone have advice or comforting words?

JennaJ721

Asked by JennaJ721 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was a skiny baby but she wasn't lethargic or anything and thats what my dr said was important, she was just a picky eater, I am of the firm belief that kids know when to stop eating and shouldn't be force fed, but if you have concerns he isn't getting the proper nutrition you could do a daily vitamin or give him so pedisure shakes, but my dr said they taste sweet and can form bad addictions to sugar so its a win-lose situation. I say take it one day at a time, give him the healthiest foods he will eat and watch his behavior if he's strong and energetic than more than likely he is getting what he needs.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• That's the thing, once you put him down he never stops moving hes very inteliigent and active....and he likes food but he doesn't like to overeat...i just disliked that they basically assume i am a horrible parent and don't consider any other factors.
    JennaJ721

Comment by JennaJ721 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• how much does he weigh? my son as a baby didn't even have one roll lol.. he was and always will be tall thin- its in his genes ( his DAD's clearly not mine ) don't worry - feed and take care of your baby - unless he is only dropping off the charts then you are doing fine.if you're still doing all taht and he's losing weight, THEN be concerned and get a Dr to do some testing.. my son at 3-1/2 is 38" tall and only 30 lbs still and he eats ALL the time - but he also is SO active - he could still fit in 18 month shorts last year..lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Has his weight suddenly fallen off track from when he was younger or has he always been on the thin side? For sure, before your doctor does any kind of medical "intervening", I would get a second opinion. The average is just that - an average. Some will be higher, some will be lower. It could be your son is just as healthy on the lower end of the scale.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• PS I actually for the first 2 years felt like I was chasing him with food, he'll eat but he'd RATHER play - we ended up setting a TV tray in front of the TV for dinner time, although parents will bash, at least he eats then, even if it does take an hour - at the table he never ate more than a bite and we battled about sitting and moving and spilling and throwing for over a year -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• he hasn't dropped off the scale, he has gained a little weight but "isn't gaining enough"...He eats between 1200-1400 calories a day, and honestly adding butter to everything seems like it would do more damage than good for a 15 month old....he weighs 22 lbs and is 29" tall....his father is tall and skinny, so is my entire family (except me, take after my mom)...
    JennaJ721

Comment by JennaJ721 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Just curious, how much does weigh? What is his percentile? My son is 22 months and weighs 23 pounds. He is pretty tall too. He has always fallen between the 10th and 20th percentile for weight and his height between the 75th and 80th. Since he always stays consistent with the percintiles, my pediatrician says he is fine. I wouldnt try to force feed him, you probably wouldnt be able to anyways. :) I agree that if he is active and seems normal in all other ways I would seek a second opinion.
    Bamamommax3

Answer by Bamamommax3 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• also my son would rather play as well lol he hates sitting for more than 10 min.
    JennaJ721

• I assume you're giving whole milk to him, I would try to get him to drink a bit more of that, but give the extra after he is done eating so he doesn't fill up on milk and eat even less. I also add olive oil to things for my daughter instead of butter, like on noodles or toast. She is allergic to a lot of things so she doesn't have a lot of fat in her diet and I have to try and replace that. I do agree with the other moms though, if he is healthy otherwise he may just be naturally thin. It sounds like you are offering him chances to eat throughout the day and healthy options at those times and I agree with you that force feeding is no good. Can he do peanut butter? That's a nice caloric food with some good fats in it that he may like. If your doctor really keeps giving you grief I would keep a log of what your son eats to show him and also get a 2nd opinion if you aren't comfortable with what you are being told.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• He is 2lb heavier than my 13mo and the same height.....It seems like he is eating a good variety....I personally would increase his milk or adding Apple juice often. Apple juice has tons of calories and is good for him also peanutbutter if his Ped. Has okayed it. There is no way in help I would add butter to all his food.......imo I would look for another Ped. If mine said that to me...mAybe suggest him talk a nutrition class!
    MamaRudolph

Answer by MamaRudolph at 4:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011