How many animals is TOO much?

I'm a caregiver for an elderly lady that has EIGHT DOGS! Three big dogs like Labs and Chows, and four smaller ones like poodle mixes and a teacup sized dog. She wastes so much money on these flipping animals but can hardly feed herself. She won't listen to logic regarding getting rid of one or two of them in order to have more funds for herself as she's on a very fixed income. They've ruined her home as it smells like one big litter box as she can't always let them out on time and they pee/poo everywhere. It's ungodly smelling! She's only supposed to have FOUR animals due to zoning and such. How do I get her to reason? I've known her for ten years.

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 4:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• At her age these animals have become her life long companions and I can see how it must be so hard for her to give them up, but if it is causing an unhealthy living environment, you will need to contact social services of some kind. I'm sure the police department can give you the correct number. It has to be put to her gently and not made to feel like it's about her, but the pets. That they need a good home, because if you say she needs to live better she can always come back with something like they have no one else in the world but her. But if you make it sound like it's what's best for the animals it may make her more likely to give them up. Good luck with all this.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• How many animals is TOO much?
    any amount higher than (a) the zoning laws allow or (b) more than they can care for food and medical wise.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• She's only hurting herself by not eating, right? If the dogs are taken care of, and are not reproducing MORE dogs, then I say let her just live how she wants. If the dogs are causing a nuisance to others, are reproducing, or are unhealthy, then you need to tell her unless she finds some of them new homes you will report her....not that you're trying to be mean or hurtful, but that you're looking out for the well-being of the animals.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• People like her think of their pets as their children. Asking them to give any of them up is completely out of the question in their minds. Zoning laws don't matter to them.

The best you can do is try to sit down with her and come up with some ways to make it healthier for her to live with them. Instead of buying pet food would it be cheaper for her to make it herself out of groceries? If she stocks up on lots of brown rice, some in season produce, and bit of affordable meat thats a more healthy diet for the dogs then whatever they put in the food and it can be cheaper too. It's ok if most of the bowl is rice and then a little bit of meat and veggie. As for the smell in the house- I'm sorry to say that it's too late to help much with that. You can try to get them to only go in certain areas and try to keep it contained. Maybe (for the smaller dogs) they can be litter trained?

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• oh gosh,, what a situation,, does she have any kids? You might want to contact animal hoarders show,, I would call someone, but I know that my friends kid has like 44 cats,, and anyhoo long story,, no one wanted to do anything about it. I would call her closest relative and intervene,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You can call your local police station and ask for a welfare check for her. If THEY deem her living situation hazardous to her health THEY will be the bad guy that says get rid of X# of dogs. You will be totally anonymous.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Just good luck those dogs are HR babies...
    amanda81919

Answer by amanda81919 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have two dogs. I think I have enough dogs but I'd like a cat =]
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011