Have you shopped at a thrift store?

Admittedly, when I first got married, I thought thrift stores were for poor people. I didn't want anyone's second hand items. I wanted new and fresh and clean. Obviously, life hit me in the wallet and the smarts and I started to visit thrift stores. I was a bit pickier there than at the regular stores, which was good as I spent less and only got things I NEEDED, not just wanted. I highly recommend Good-Will, Salvation Army or AmVets for many things; like extra coats, bric a brac and purses. My son outgrows his clothes pretty often and I replace his jeans and t-shirts with finds from the thrift store. What's your best find at a thrift store? I love cook books and often get them there for a dollar or two. Woot! Woot!

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 4:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I too felt as if second hand stores were to put it lightly, "taboo" when I was young and unmarried! However, as I have aged... and wisened up... quite a bit..... I LOVE finding a wonderful bargain item at second hand shops (like Goodwill type places, and even local consignment stores). I get especially excited when I find an item that I have on my "wish list" that still has its brand new tags attached!!! LOL!! One bit of advice though... I usually jot my needs and wishes down on a small note pad throughout the month... that way when I go "hunting" I don't end up coming back with a ton of unnecessary items.... which is easy to do when you find things out there that are cheap!! I like garage sales too.. and I don't know if you know this.. but... Goodwill usually has a half price sale once every single month!! :)
    FingerPainter

Answer by FingerPainter at 9:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I haven't been there in a while since I haven't bought clothes in a while, but I am going to be going there within the next couple weeks for summer clothes and baby clothes (I am pregnant). I don't buy brand new clothes for babies unless I see something that is just sooo adorable lol because babies outgrow them so fast. Then the summer clothes I by at thrift stores because my kids are hard on their clothesand I am not buying brand new clothes to get ruined. I do however buy some winter clothes brand new and pjs. I buy baithing suits new cause well that is gross lol and socks, bras and undies brand new lol. I will buy my clothes there if I see something I like. I like going on Wednesday because everything is half off ecxept one tag.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• All the time, some of the best treasures are found there. I have found antiques worth alot of money for as little as 50 cents. Its fun to go.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• surprisedAbsolutely........currently the outfit I am wearing cost me $15.00!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Oh.. I love them. I wish we had more around. I wish we had a consignment store close. The nearest is 25 miles away.. Although I went to the one here in town and found an awesome vintage glass Tang juice jug for 75 cents. I love it. Welcome to the club.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I do for DD's clothes, I cannot see spending high dollar for clothes that she is going to grow out of in a couple of months.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 4:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes, often. My two boys rip through every pair of jeans...no sense in buying them brand new! I go to the Salvation Army store nearby and get nice looking pants for them for $1.50 a pair avg. A few weeks ago I bought 5 shirts for myself, 2 pair od pj pants for myself, 2 pair of pj pants for my daughter, and a cotton dress for my daughter, and paid $11 and some change. It's like one giant garage sale!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011