About Journal posting...

How specific can I get with my journal? My life has been threatened by my ex, and I want to do a journal about my first marriage, and I would like to include names and graphic details. I want to know how far I can go with this.

rhope4

Asked by rhope4 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in About CafeMom

• As long as its true youre fine.

Answer by gemgem at 4:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• You can get as specific as you choose. There's a mature content warning option to warn people before they read it though. You can use real names or you can use fake names, the readers won't know the difference. For instance, when I talk about my mom and stepdad and members of my family, I refer to them as Mom, Stepdad, Grandma, Grandpa, etc. I don't use their actual names, my boyfriend is the only one I mention by actual name.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I WANT to use actual names. I'm praying that his girlfriend will get on here and see this. I want her to know my side of the story since my ex has most probably lied to her about everything.

My family knows what happened, but I want it "out there" in case something happens to me.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Ahhh I see. Well then, I'm sure you can use the real names as long as you put the mature content filter on it. I've seen a lot of other people use real names and they didn't get in trouble. I guess as long as you don't put phone numbers or addresses (not like you would, but still lmao) it's perfectly fine. The names will only matter to the people that know you or know your situation =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Just remember that this is a public forum...anything anyone ever posts is out there forever. ...even if you later delete it. You can be sued for liable and slander and your posting would be evidence. I would think twice before using real names. You might post a note advising that readers can email you for specific names...that would be considered private communication and much less apt to invoke a law suit.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 5:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Hi rhope4,

Please be careful when posting personally identifiable information. We can’t verify the identities of everyone on the site and you use the site at your own risk. We urge you to learn and follow best practices for staying safe online.

When communicating directly with other members on CafeMom, only share information you are comfortable with a stranger knowing. You should avoid information that would make it easy for a stranger to find you (such as your and your children's first and last names, address, telephone number, place of work, or school).

If you have any questions, please click the 'Contact Us' link found at the bottom of any CafeMom page.

< The CafeMom Admin Team

CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 5:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008