My parakeet is sick??

When I fed my parakeets today, I noticed that the male looks REALLY lethargic. He is eating super slow, and looks like he's going to fall asleep standing up. He is normally very active and curious. I'm really worried about him because I don't know anything about sick birds. Please help ladies... what can I do for him??

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 4:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Take him to the vet
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Is he puffed up? Any discharge from his nose? They make a antibiotic you can get at most pet stores you can add to his water. Good luck!!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I called the vet. They want $65 dollars for the "emergency visit". I have $0 right now...so they recommended a rescue group to help me. I called her, and she was the most grumpy animal rescuer ever! She said that every person she has helped with a bird, the bird died anyway. The last parakeet family she helped paid $245 for the visit and medicine, and the bird died 3 hours later. She said she would pay to have my bird euthanized if I want to do that.
    Um...no...I don't want to kill it. Geez! He is the only one of my 3 birds that even seems to like me. This SUCKS!! I have him in a box, on a nice soft towel, in my quiet bedroom, because his mate was pecking at him. I hope he pulls through...cause I'm not paying $200 to have a vet say "I dunno...give him this." only to have him die anyway. And I'm not going to kill him for just being sick...that's cruel!!!
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm closing the question, because he passed away... :(
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 2:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011