What scripture or quote sums up your purpose in life most adequately?

CoffeeWriter

Asked by CoffeeWriter at 4:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Psalm 51:6
    New International Version
    Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Answer by gemgem at 4:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• "don't believe something just because it is written"
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Some quotes that are near and dear to my heart:

"If you want to be happy, practice compassion. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion." - the Dalai Lama

"Never does hatred cease by hatred. Hatred ceases by love. This is an eternal law." - the Buddha

"To love another person is to see the face of God." - Les Miserables
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I do not lead my life by scripture.......

Answer by older at 4:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I already thought of a better one. LOL

"I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace."~Dalai Lama
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• There are a lot, but the one I thought of/came up with myself that sums up my faith the best is : "Christian, in my opinion, doesn't imply an adherence to specific criterion of faith, but instead indicates a specific standard of heart, a criterion of love, if you will."
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• "Have mercy on me O Lord for I am weak" I think that's Psalms 4:2....I left my Bible in the car lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't know out right. i'd have to read some verses. funny, I've never had a verse or quote that defined me. maybe I need to so that my morale will go up.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with gemgem. That is one of my favorite scriptures! A quote I love is "the challenges we face are not as important as the challenges we face up to." And, my favorite one is "God is not a bridge over troubled waters, He is the tunnel through them." As for scripture, I can't pick any one, there are so many that fit me, they are all awesome.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011