When youget an epidural when you have a baby can they force dad (husband) to leave the room?

when I had my first 2 they told dh he had to leave until after I got the epidural. When I was with my sister they told me the same thing. But when I had my second child I had problems with the epidural then they were rude to me and everything so after that (long story), but I am afraid to get an epidural, but I don't tollerate pain well so just incase I do end up getting one (going to try to avoid it though) if I tell them I want dh to be in the room at all times even when that is done can they make him leave anyway? How can I find out what the hospital rules are? Do I call the actual hospital? Or do I ask my OB?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They kicked mine out and let him in about 10 minutes later. Said its required now, but I have no clue why.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Usually they wont' let the husband in the room while you get the epidural even if you ask. I had complications with my epidural and I asked if I could have my husband in the room to comfort me they said no because of liability issues.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• That's all hooey. They do that to protect their ass. Same as when they ask you to not film the actual birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'd ask the hospital what their policy is, but it's all just liability on their end. Most hospitals do everything to protect their own asses (like BradenIsMySon said), including all those unnecessary interventions. Fortunately, when I had mine, they let DH stay with me.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My husband stayed in the room with me when I received mine (that was 20 years ago though).. My husband actually held me in his arms while the tech was inserting the needle.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Things have changed because I only go an epidural with my first child and I believe my DH stayed in the room with me. That was 14 years ago. I guess it never hurts to ask and I am thinking since he is there for the delivery you might be able to have him there for the epidural. Maybe ask your doctor ahead of time and see if there is something that you sign.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You think that's bad, back in the day (26 years ago), they wouldn't allow my SO in the room at all because we were NOT married! The Dr. actually slammed the door in his face and made him wait outside!!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I had my son in 2007 and my sons father stayed in the room with me, he wouldnt let them kick him out lol he had a fit! I think they've become stricter these days though. The reason why they dont want anyone in the room is because they are afraid of that person passing out and getting injured from the fall..it has happen in the past when a hubby has said needles didnt bother him and ended up passing out and getting a concusion and interfering with the procedure. You would think theyd do the same thing with a c-section but they dont, id have a bigger problem whatching someone get cut open like that than whatching a needle like that go in.
    AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• In 2005 they let him stay. In 2009 in a different hospital they made him leave.
    Yes, it is legal.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• mine stayed and I would insist that he stayed. It really have to have someone there to comfort you.
    Thats no reason to kick him out because he could pass out, some man pass out when the actual birth happens, so it makes to scene.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011