Box hair color question? Brown to blonde?

I've been dying my hair a med brown at home with a box and have been happy, but I'm wanting to go maybe dark to med blonde. Has anyone ever done this? The obvious is to go slow and work my way lighter right? I don't want to turn my hair orange ;)

jen282

Asked by jen282 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I've always been told to go professional if you are going extremely light or extremely dark compared to your natural coloring.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Your best bet is to go professional for that, since the med. brown is unlikely to lighten as much as your natural hair. Is your natural color darker than light brown? If so, you want to have it done professionally, anyway.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• That's what I was thinking too. Maybe I could go have it done at a salon and then take it over at home. We just don't have the money for me to spend on my hair every 6-8 weeks.
    jen282

Comment by jen282 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My natural color is a couple shades lighter than it is right now.
    jen282

Comment by jen282 (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• YOU CANNOT LIGHTEN HAIRCOLOR WITH HAIRCOLOR. you will need to use a lightening agent (bleach)..and i would not recommend doing it yourself, as you will not know how/when/what/where to use the product appropriately.
    save yourself time and money, and go to a professional colorist..one that has been highly recommended, too. you may be able to save money by going to a beauty school, but remember, the work is done by students (hopefully, supervised by qualified instructors).
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with these ladies, too much can go wrong if you do it yourself.
    MsKylaSkyy

Answer by MsKylaSkyy at 4:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I've always heard that you can darken your hair at home, but if you want to go lighter, you have to get it done at a salon initially.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011