Constipated 8 month old

my 8 month old who's been exclusively breastfed has recently started eating baby food and snacks. She is still nursing, but eats baby food once in the morning and once in the evening. I give fruits and veggies as well as the cereal blends. I've noticed that she has been having form bm's lately and it takes her a while to pass them. I know all the remedies for constipation ( prunes, Karo syrup, etc), but does anyone have any suggestions on keeping her regular? For instance, what foods to avoid or what to include in her diet. None of my other children had this issue. I feel like her body isn't ready for the processed baby foods. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The cereal can cause constipation. Maybe try real foods instead of the "baby" stuff. Google Baby Led Solids.

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-baby-led-solids-is-and-isnt.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Not sure on what to avoid but giving my kids pear juice (found near baby food at the store) daily helped a lot. It's got a lot less acid in it so won't usually cause diarrhea and rash.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Bradenismyson- thanks so much! this is exactly what I need. Have you tried this?
    Proverbs_31

Comment by Proverbs_31 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Iron in cereal could be contributing. Pectin in fruits like applesauce and pears can be a problem too. For some, apple and pear juice is constipating, for others, it has the opposite effect.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yep. It's the best way to me. LOL I hate those overprocessed baby junk food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2011