How did you get a decent job?

My DH and I have reached the point where being a SAHM isn't working.. The bills are slowly dragging us down. We're running out of money. He is working as much overtime as he can without killing himself everyday. So it looks like I'm going to have to work at Wal-Mart. I just can't get a job. I apply for jobs on Monster. They say they're looking for someone and I get an e-mail or a letter saying its already been filled or they are looking at someone else.. It's getting really old. It's diminishing my confidence. So I'm just lost.. What am I doing wrong?

febmom007

Asked by febmom007 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• I posted my resume on Craigslist
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• May I ask.....

What field is your education &/or degree in? Do you have any field specific certifications? What is field(s) is your previous work experience in? And.. What is the prevailing job market in your area (what is the prevailing industries)?
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I know someone that started at walmart at the bottom, and now makes 180k a year as a manager. The two most critical aspects to finding a decent job is experience and schooling. So if you don't have the schooling, or even if you do, don't be afraid to start at the bottom, work hard, and turn it into a decent job. It's all up to you.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• When DH was looking, he was told to network - not to apply to ads. If you are the right person, they will find a job for you.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Go to a headhunter. That's how I got most of my jobs. I also networked with colleagues. Are you on LinkedIn?

Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 4:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Start with some temporary agencies.

Go online to the state work task-force commission. Through the same agency that gives unemployment.

Go to the local city's .com (cityname)helpwanted.com

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have never tried monter. Every job I have ever gotten I went in and dropped off an application and asked to speak with a manager. I understand in some situations that isnt possible but it is helpful to get in front of the person doing the hiring. When I worked at a front desk a girl came in every friday for 2 months straight asking if we were hiring yet. when a position came open we made sure the manager had her application right on top becuase we knew she was persistant and would work hard and appreciate the job. She still has a job there and its been about 5 yrs and we still occasionally chat about how we remembered her coming in and bugging us for 2 months and it worked!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• *oops i meant monster.com
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I was actually going to go to school to get my Associates in Accounting and then slowly work my way up to CPA, but bills got in the way of that. Last job I had was as a receptionist for an eye doctor. They basically fired me because they said I don't BS enough with other co-workers.. Which is stupid! And the job before that, I was a secretary/cafeteria worker for a school. I had to resign because the head cook at the school was trying to get me fired. And I didn't even do anything wrong..
    febmom007

Comment by febmom007 (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I got my to part time jobs at indeed.com and care.com. At care.com there are 4-5 job categories so use the pulldown to see them all. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011