Anyone ever put their child in summer school..... ?

My almost 8 yr old, is being recommended by his teacher to go. He struggles about 1/2 the time in comprehending what he reads but isn't behind in his class and is not in danger of failing. The teacher expressed her concern if he backslides a little during the summer, which a lot of kids do, that he might fall behind. I said OK. I was thinking that if he does fall behind that it would cause a bad attitude towards the rest of his schooling but now I'm wondering if sending him would make him feel like he's, lack of better words, dumb. I don't know what to think and could use some wisdom from Moms who have sent their child/kids. I really feel like I let him down :(

since_3.18.93

Asked by since_3.18.93 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just signed my son up today, he is 8 also, he has a hard time with reading too, he isn't behind but he isn't moving ahead to fast either, I think its a good idea, they will help where he is struggling. I know sometimes a Parent will not do it because they think others will think that thier kid is dumb or something, thats not the case, kids develope at different levels, my son is one of the youngest in his class and i think that is why he struggles at times, but he is very smart too. I think you should do it.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yep! There have been many summers I signed my kids up for summer school-- mostly for the social aspect and also having something to do each day. (our schools did reading/math and 'fun' things too). I do think it helped keep the kids current in their learning and not 'forget' as much when school started up in the fall. This year my kids (12, 14) don't want to go to summer school and academically they are doing well so I think we will skip it this year.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Every summer I get workbooks and things for my kids to do so they keep up what they have learned...they dont have to do it everyday, but a couple times a week I will have them do a few pages(dd had a book last year, on different animals, so she would read about an animal and then there was a few questions on that animal at that end, so that helped with comprehention) I will do that with her and ds this year as well. They do both have to read every night, even in summer.
    There is no summer school here ( that I know of) but I wouldnt do it anyhow, I would try to help them on my own.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I've sent my son to summer school 2x. The teacher(s) requested that I do so for basically the same reasons. It helped socialize him during the summer & retain some information he had learned throughout the year.
    Mrs_Doll

Answer by Mrs_Doll at 7:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011