How accurate is the hospital in checking amniotic fluid leak??

I am 35 1/2 weeks pregnant and I am pretty certain that my water broke this morning during intercourse. The fluid was thin and water-like, had no odor and was a gush. There was enough fluid to get all over us and the bed. So, I waited 2 1/2 hours before I went in to the hospital and they did the pH test to see if it was amniotic fluid or urine. The pH test came up negative for amniotic fluid. She said that the baby must've pressed on my bladder b/c I am also "very dry". I don't see how that's possible considering I had sex 2 hours before. Unless semen and amniotic fluid have the same pH level, the test is wrong anyway. I had two contractions while they monitored me for 20 minutes, but she didn't even look at the monitor when she told me I was going home.

I'm concerned they are wrong. My cousin leaked for 2 months and every test said it wasn't amniotic fluid, but at birth time she was DRY and had to go c section. Anyone else had this problem??

armywife227

Asked by armywife227 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They are pretty accurate
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If you are worried get a 2nd opinion... better safe then sorry
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• just found out i can get the test strips at walgreens, so if i leak anymore I'll check it myself, then I won't have to go to the hospital too :)
    armywife227

Comment by armywife227 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Your cousin being "dry" from of her own dehydration or baby/placenta issues....
    Remember that we can safely go weeks-months with a leak, it's okay.
    We need to really stay hydrated since the fluid is completely replaced every few hours.
    We need to keep all gloved fingers & everything else out since water flows out it's bypassing nature to give bacteria a free-ride upstream.

You might have ruptured and resealed or just torn through one layer.

Water breaking isn't usually an emergency and it doesn't always mean labor (yet)-- but it will eventually.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011