Does anyone know...

What combination of blood groups between the mother and father may alert a caregiver to administer Rhogam, or anti-d?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• google rh negative blood types chart and it should show you a chart that explains it well.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If mom is rh -, they look at this. If dad is +, you get the shot, if dad is -, you don't. My SIL refused the shot and had a - baby even though dad was +.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I had to get the shot.. I have O- and my hubby is A+... I was told by mom doctor that they give you the shot because, since there is a chance the babies blood would be positive, my negative blood will think the baby is some kind of infect and try to fight it off.. it can cause a miscarriage. You do not have to get the shot, and if you dont everything could be fine but it is reccomended.. idk if you know if you hate to or not yet, but it wasnt that bad for me.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I really appreciate the responses! I am asking this question because I am training to become a doula and this question came up in my course work, and I am very curious about it! So let's say these are the possibly blood groups:

1. Mother A+ Father A+
    2. Mother A+ Father B-
    3. Mother B- Father B-
    4. Mother B- Father A+

Which one would make the most sense to administer Rhogam?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I believe any time the woman is neg and the father is positive after the 1st pregnancy. could be wrong about the last part

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The 4th option would be the correct one. I have lost a baby for this reason around the 5 month mark and am having major complications this pregnancy due to it, it can be pretty serious.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thank you again for the answers! This definitely helps me understand the Rh factor a little better!!

Melbornj, I am sorry you had to deal with that and still are. I hope everything goes well for you!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011