Can breastfeeding keep you plump?

I have been watching my weight for months now. Portion control, eating early in the evening, not sleeping on a full stomach, walking a little each day... I drink PLENTY of water... and I am breastfeeding.... I can't seem to lose more than 5pounds? I am trying to get the weight off but it doesn't seem to be wanting to leave!!! HELP?? Is weight loss something that I should not be hoping for as long as I am breastfeeding? Have any of you had these same issues? I've read BF helps people lose weight BUT.. it is not so with me! Suggestions?????

FingerPainter

Asked by FingerPainter at 4:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I had SUCH a hard time with my weight with breastfeeding. During my pregnancy, I only gained 12 lbs, but I gained 30 breastfeeding. I was RAVENOUSLY hungry all the time, and it was REALLY hard to stop. I'm finally 20 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight with more to lose, but it was tough while I was nursing. Your body naturally holds onto weight for the sake of making sure your baby doesn't starve. You might have to wait until you finish nursing to lose more. Also, Weight Watchers has a program for nursing moms. You can also check out babyfit.com, which is a site that's part of sparkpeople.com but it's intended for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• When you breastfeed, you do tend to hold on to some fat so you can make rich milk for your LO. Try to cut out 100 calories per day. That should have you losing a pound per month.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• are u on birth control? that can effect it too.
    I bf for 20mo. and tried to lose weight. dd is 4yo now & im actually BIGGER than what i was 3wks after birth :(
    after having a kid ur body can change & make it harder to lose weight. not saying that is my problem. im sure if i could stick to something for over a month i could do it.
    just keep trying & dont give up. :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I did not lose my last 8 lbs until I stopped breastfeeding. I truly believe it's natures way of slowing you down. Yes it will help your uterus shrink but your metabolism will also slow and that's normal. Once you stop...you'll lose the last bit of weight...but who cares while you're doing something so important as nourishing your child. Don't worry about it.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• no, breastfeeding helps get rid of the weight. could be what you're eating? or perhaps you could exercise more.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I didn't lose weight when I BFed but only b/c I didn't count calories. Counting calories seems to be the only way I can lose any weight. I stayed under 1500 cal a day and lost 5lbs a week. Try that :) BFing will help you burn even more.
    Kersten

Answer by Kersten at 5:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• BREASTFEEDING HELPS TO SHRINK UR UTERUS BACK TO WHAT IT WAS SO THEREFORE U LOSE WEIGHT. GET ENOUGH SLEEP EAT RIGHT N STAY ACTIVE!
    newmom378

Answer by newmom378 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• it will keep your boobs big
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2011