What should I do if my teenager is dating a girl I don't trust?

FingerPainter

Asked by FingerPainter at 5:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• OMG ... I have two older brothers and now have 3 sons, no daughters. I totally understand how you feel. My oldest is 15, no real girlfriends just yet. My mother told me that the way she worked wih my brothers was this ... Act like you like the girls that you DON'T LIKE. And, yes, act like you don't approve of the girls that you actually like.

Seems crazy, but I saw FIRST HAND as a little sister, that it works. For sure, your sons will rebel and go after the girls that they ABSOLUTELY KNOW that Mom disapproves of.

Hope it works out.
    anaahs

Answer by anaahs at 8:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I say keep your thoughts to yourself as much as you can, otherwise you risk breaking the lines of communication between you and him. Do take any chance to point out things she might do that are manipulative or dishonest, but do it very carefully. You can't just point out that she is a big liar, you have to talk to your son and find a way to gently lead him to his own conclusions because he probably won't listen to your opinions. And sometimes you have to just trust your son even if you don't trust the girl. Hopefully he has a good head on his shoulders and will do the right thing given the chance.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• How close to 18 is he?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• you can't really do much. just tell him how you feel and hope he'll respect it. trying to break off a relationship will just make him mad and the drama isn't worth it.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Talk to her and get to know her maybe you can find some common ground? Telling him will only make him want to be with her more nothing taste better then the forbidden.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Pretend to love her, nothing turns a teen off from their date faster than a parent's approval.
    MsKylaSkyy

Answer by MsKylaSkyy at 5:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Let him be. No matter what you say trust me it wont matter. You can tell him that he can't see her but then you risk him sneaking behind your back. If she turns out to be untrustworthy your son should learn the hard way. It teaches him about life.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• what is it exactly that you dont like about her???? attitude, mouth, clothing, language, drugs, not good enough for son??
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 5:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You don't have to like her he does......and as far as trusting, he has to be the one to do this too, not much you can do there mom but keep an eye out.

Answer by older at 5:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• define trust,, and how old is he?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011