Mary Kay

has anyone sold Mary Kay before? How did you get it started? How did you do with it?

momoftaterbug

Asked by momoftaterbug at 5:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have, and I hated it. There is too much to keep up with, and they have very expensive standards on how much product you have to buy at a time. I ended up in the hole.
    MsKylaSkyy

Answer by MsKylaSkyy at 5:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My friend sells it she went to her Mary kay distributor and this was how she started
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It is a multiple marketing thingy like Amway and Avon. I personally hate asking friends and family to not only buy things from me but get their friends to also.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Sure did and $2,000 later I didn't see any profit. It takes at least a year to fully get a business going and you have to invest but I was talked in to investing way too much. I had too much product and not enough customers. It is not how it used to be for sure. You don't get praised on how much you sell but how much you buy in wholesale. That is where you earn your prizes. Secondly, not may can afford being a consultant and there are so many consultants it is hard. I get the same results if not better from other brands that are cheaper too.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Never had and do not plan on it either. I prefer Scentsy products =) No inventory, product sells itself and less time consuming
    Corilyn1221

Answer by Corilyn1221 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I didn't sell Mary Kay but I did sell Avon for a little while and didn't see any profit in it all. I ended up in the hole and am paying it off now. If you have enough people to sell it to then more power to you. Otherwise, good luck in your business endeavor.
    Wiccangirl24

Answer by Wiccangirl24 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I am a consultant. There is a current spring break promo to start your business in April.
    I met my recruiter at a career fair.
    I believe people have the wrong idea. There is no required inventory. That is completely your choice. Your starter kit comes with everything you need to promote your business and start earning money. You teach skin care. The products sell themselves. And all products are 100% guaranteed.
    You work the business at your own pace. There is a large network of consultants so you join a family of very positive, supportive women.
    I believe it's worth trying. If you feel it isn't for you, at least you can say you tried for yourself!
    If you would like more info, I'd be happy to share.
    I wish you the best either way! :-)
    -Grace
    MamisAngels

Answer by MamisAngels at 12:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am not saying all Mary Kay sellers are this way, but the few I have had experience with were extremely pushy. I hate it! I instantly cringe when I get approached by a Mary Kay lady. I will not give them my contact information. Again I am sure there are some really sweet Mary Kay ladies, but the few bad apples I had experience with have ruined it for me.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 12:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce).  http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/  

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products. 

Answer by rkoloms at 4:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am a Future Director and I am sorry to hear about some of these experiences!!!
    I love my business and MY TEAM is NOT pushy!!! And I do NOT encourage large orders with my consultants.
    I would be happy to share the FACTS with you.
    Please contact me at kbressan@marykay.com
    Blessings and Good Luck!!!
    I hope to hear from you!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2011