Is this why the economy is getting better?

The economy is getting better according to many analyists and the government. Today on Market Watch there was a piece that in March the economy grew due to energy prices and food which went up 3.9% in March. That is the largest gain since 1974. Is this a true sign that the economy is getting better??

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, it's a true sign that we are having inflation.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

Oh yeah! When we did some grocery shopping the other day I noticed some of the things I used to get for $1 were now $1.55...that's a big increase!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree, Carpy. I will be doing more caning and freezing this summer for sure......
    foreverb3

Comment by foreverb3 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• LOL..I don't think so. It simply means inflation has officially arrived. I am having to raise the cost of one of my best selling special needs items by 25%! The price of the fabric jumped that much from winter to spring.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If that is the measure of better, then what is the measure of worse? Food and petroleum cost went up so the economy grew? Ok, no!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• No, this is NOT a good thing!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• There are a number of measures regarding ecomic health , such as changes in employment and unemployment , business and consmer confidence , changes in real GDP, and so on . Inflation is not one of them , it merely measures aggregate price changes, unless it becomes negative inflation ( deflation ) or in the present economy , in excess of about 5% annually ( stagflation ) . No-one likes rising prices especially when incomes are not rising , but to the extent the price increases are on taxable goods , like gas, governments' fiscal positions should improve.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011