If you're engagement falls apart, do you give the ring back?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Legally, if you do not go through with the marriage, the ring belongs to the man. I've watched a lot of those court TV shows in which this was an issue, and the judge always gave the man the ring back, regardless of who broke it off.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i would've.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes... I think it's the right thing to do.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It depends on who breaks off the engagement and why. If the guy just suddenly decides he isn't going to get married after all, then I'd say he's a jerk to ask for the ring back.
    If the woman breaks it off, or if the woman does something to cause a break-up (ie, cheating), then it would be very kind gesture on her part to return the ring.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I gave my ring back even though he broke up with me.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• from what I understand, Its a GIFT and you don't HAVE To give it back but had that happened to me, I would have.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I am not 100% sure on this but I think if you call it off, then yes, you give the ring back but if he is the one that calls it off, then you get to keep the ring. However, I would be the one to give back the ring no matter who called off the wedding.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• haha it depends if it was bitter or not, I know that sounds horrible but if it was because of cheating or abuse you're definately not getting it back from me lol I'm going on ebay, craigslist, or the pawnshop
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Do you see the ring as a gift or as a contract? lol I know it sounds weird but a gift you keep but a ring is given kind of like a contract, you do this, I give you this. So if it falls through then I would give it back. A promise ring is more of a gift. I wouldn't want a reminder of him anyway.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i would give it back if there was no resons now to how ever if the ex has sleeped around or dune something bad then no i would not give it back
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 5:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011