Bad allergies and a little girl

my dd is going to be 2 in May and she has really bad allergies. the medicine that we have for allergies says for children under the age of 6 to consult a doctor and we don't have a doctor to consult at the moment. is there any relief for my little girl? are there any medicines out there for children her age?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 5:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can call your own pediatrician and ask via phone about benedryl, Claritin and the dosing for her age. Or you could pop into an urgent care, and they can give you some guidelines. Where do you take her when she is ill?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I am certainly not qualified to give medical advice but we give our dd children's liquid Benadryl, 3/4 of a teaspoon every 6 hours. I only give it to her at night or if she is really bad during the day because it wil make her sleepy, some kids it makes hyper. Can you call your pediatrician and see what they recommend? There are other options out there. Benadryl is ok for a short bout with allergies but there are things that can be taken daily to help combat more long term allergy problems without drowsiness. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would definitely watch for the allergies. My 5 year old has them and we ended up taking him to an allergist since we couldn't figure out what else to do for him. His two year old brother has them now and we will eventually be taking him to an allergist soon too.
    Wiccangirl24

Answer by Wiccangirl24 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011