If you see a homeless person or a person in need........

Would you stop and invite them for a meal or offer to get them some clothes or something along those lines???? Or would you just pass them by and go to the nearest Post Office to mail your money to a charity that helps those same kinds of people overseas...????????

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My daughter and grandkids and I help a local group collect bags of food in the neighborhoods and transport it to the local food bank for homeless people and those who need the help. I always think that is better because we KNOW who is getting the food.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Okay, so I have worked with a bunch of homeless in the past as a case manager, so before you downvote me, take this into consideration.
    Most of our homeless are in the system. They get a monthly check and are on Medicare/medicaid (medi-cal). Their medical expenses are completely paid for. They can use their check for boarding (room and board) and have some spending cash left over, or they can live on the streets and use ALL OF IT for drugs. This is the truth. Most of them are not in debt.
    I do not give to homeless people on the street because they actually are very well taken care of.
    I DO donate to shelters, both homeless and women's, drug rehab programs, and charities for kids.
    The bigger group to worry about is the middle-class group of families that are now unemployed, have no income, and are not eligible for services. This group, truly, has nowhere to go. THAT is where we should put all of our money.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Your choices are either give money directly to a homeless person, or give money overseas? That's it?

We rarely ever give directly to homeless people we meet on the street, however, we do give to local charities that help people in need in our area. Organized charities are better equipped to make the money go farther and help more people. We also volunteer and work directly with these charities when we can. My husband and I feel that this is just as important as writing a check because our children can be involved with helping and understand that not everyone is as lucky as they are.

Still, we do occasionally give to the Red Cross for international crisis work, too.

I don't see why people get so bent out of shape about how people choose to help others. It doesn't have to be just one or the other.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 6:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Neither. I don't give hand outs to beggers, ever. But overseas? No. There are plenty of local charities I would gladly give to in order to see my community helped out.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

•  DO donate to shelters, both homeless and women's, drug rehab programs, and charities for kids.

This!! usually if they are not in one of the shelters that are around here there is a reason for it, so this is where my money goes the ones that are in a program and being given tools to get themselves out of their current circumstances.

When I volunteered at a homeless shelter for woman and children giving them the guidelines that they would have to follow to come into the shelter you would not believe the amount of woman who didn't want to abide by them.  Things such as getting a job, putting money into savings, participating in home life workshops etc,,,,,

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Generally no. We have a local guy that lives on the street, dresses in rags and wanders around talking to poles and stuff. He begs and I would not give him a dime because he is worth millions. Outside of that, I have helped the people who are living in the National Forrest, because they have families and lost everything from job loses.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• That question left out a great many possibilities
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't offer money, often times they are alcoholic/drug addicts so you're just funding their habit. I have given a bottle of water just to see the guy sit it down behind him and let it fall over. (We were sitting at an intersection).. If I were to come in contact with someone homeless I would tell them where the nearest shelter is.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have offered to buy them food. They usually ask if they can just have the money. I don't do that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have offered the homeless man that lived in the woods at the exit ramp food. He didn't want my food. He wanted money. I didn't give him money.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011