Overweight?

I came across a child BMI calculator at CDC.gov so I decided to check DD's height/weight/age/sex with it and it turns out that according to her BMI, she's overweight. Even looking at her through skeptical eyes, she doesn't look overweight to me. No, she's not skinny, but she's not fat either.........she's what I would consider "normal."

She has plenty of activity, but she doesn't eat the best being that she is like the pickiest eater of all time and will only eat a handful of foods........most not what would necessarily be considered "overly healthy"

Her pediatrician has never said a word to me. Should I be worrying if this isn't something he seems concerned about.........at least at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, don't worry at all, unless you see a problem, or your Dr. notices one.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 6:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If her doc isn't worried, I wouldn't be. Although, I would try to get her to eat more healthy foods, just for healths sake.

My son is WAY underweight according to those, no doctor has ever complained. My son is just a skinny teen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• When I took my oldest in for well-child, I got a NASTY look from the "doctor" about her weight. She is EXTREMELY skinny and very tall for her age. Yet...she eats WAY MORE than I do! That's the only time I've ever gotten a "questioning" look from any doctor when it came to weight.

As the others have said, if your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd say at her next check up, bring it up to the doctor and see what he/she says about it. Sometimes they can clarify those things.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If the pediatrician isn't concerned, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I would try to teach her to branch out from picky eating, ask the doctor for pointers (maybe without her present as weight and body issues for girls are absorbed from society let alone assumptions little girls jump to depending on how a pediatrician handles it). Teach DD that being active is great, but she needs to eat foods that will give her good energy to keep her healthy, smart an active. DD loves dipping, typically peppers in ranch dressing but she will branch out. It's true for adults: the healthier you eat, the healthier you crave, so it must be true for kis. The same goes for everything in moderation though, so keep that in mind and again I wouldn't be too concerned.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I looked at that site a couple weeks ago and those charts are bogus. My son was considered borderline overweight for his age (9 1/2) because he weighs like 80lbs and is 4'7". Looking at him you can see there isn't an ounce of fat on him. With his shirt off you can see ever rib. He is all muscle which the BMI does not take into account. He wears a 12 slim and needs a belt to keep his pants on they are so huge in the waist. Definitely NOT overweight.
    It also labeled my 10yo daughter as severely underweight because she is only 50lbs (almost 11). But she is only 4'3" tall. My 8 1/2 yo dd is the same height and 5lbs heavier and considered perfectly average and a good BMI. I don't get what the difference is between the two. They are the same height and weight but one is healthy and it suggested seeking immediate medical attention for the other. Something isn't right there.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If the doctors aren't worried, don't worry. According to the "charts" my son is too small for his age & I'm neglecting him. LOL B.S.!!!!! The doctors said his body is even according to all the measurements, so he's just fine. Also, she could just have more natual muscle mass. I know people never think I weigh as much as I do bc I do have natural muscle mass & muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space. According to the "charts" even when I had an eating disorder and would go days with only eating 6 pizza rolls for a steady 2 years, I was still overweight by at least 15lbs. Take her bones into consideration as well. She could just have thick bones. I know my wrists are bigger than my mom & my sisters not just bc I weigh more but I'm just naturally "big boned" which ppl say is fat, but thats a load of BS too! LOL
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• you shouldnt worry. specially if her dr isnt concerned
    JoyJoy

Answer by JoyJoy at 12:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Bring it up at her next check-up and see what her doc says. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011