I still live at home with my parents and I want to go on a trip this winter...my mom doesn't want me to go cause she's worried for my safety, what can I do to convince her that I will be just fine?

I want to go visit a friend in Guatemala, he lives in one of the "touristy" areas and I plan to go this winter during my break from college. I'm 20 years old, I live with my parents so I can save money. Her issue is not that she doesn't want to have to watch my daughter or anything like that and I will have the money, she will not have to give me a single dime...it's simply that she believes anywhere in Central or South America is incredibly dangerous for an American female and thinks I'll be raped or murdered.

What can I do to prove to her that I will be okay? I mean...there's always a chance you can get hurt traveling and I'm aware of that but I need to live my life and you can't live and enjoy life if you are constantly avoiding fear...and I want her to understand that. My friend will be there with me every step of the way and he grew up there and lived there for 15 years so he knows his stuff...I'm not scared or anything but I just need my mom to get over this...I don't want to upset her!

And yes I know him well, he went to my high school...he did an international program and got placed in my high school...I've known him for almost 6 years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Travel

• Parents are always going to worry. I think as long as you take her concerns seriously, she'll be fine.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 5:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• To be honest, I'd be scared too! Why put yourself & your general overall safety in harms way, when it can be avoided by merely waiting to see if things improve? You are a mom now, and I'm sure you wouldnt want to have something happen to you. If you REALLY have your heart set on going, & there's no talking you out of it, then the only thing you can do is call her when you land & get to his place safely. Then call her every day, several times a day if that will make her feel better. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• u r an adult. YOU HAVE YOUR OWN MONEY saved up... (yet means you will not be getting out of parents house anytime soon by taking this trip) as long as YOU have a sitter for your child, (leaving the # for mom to call and/or see g'child) set up and her expenses paid... I see nothing wrong with it. (((( on that part))))))

Although we ALL think we are invisible...... WE ARE NOT!!! she has every right to be concerned ( voicing it) Natalie Holloway went w/a group, DRUGGED -w/o knowing) and murdered. even a water can be tampered with at a club. And some do tend to be attractedd to american women. I too see the concern there too.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 6:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Save and find a sitter

Answer by admckenzie at 6:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Obviously you are a mom, as you mentioned your child. Time to think like a mom and not just your mother's child. Look at it through a mother's eyes. She has a fear for you, probably because she's never gone off to Guatemala by herself. Do you think that in 20 years you are going to cheerfully send your DD off on a big adventure like that? No, you might let her go, but you will worry.

20+ years ago I was you (minus the child.) I up and moved overseas for a year (and I knew no one.) I didn't have a phone and there were no cell phones. I traveled to Europe and Africa with only a casual message on her answering machine as to where I was going and when I'd be back. Now I see how much grief and worry I caused. I'd go nuts if my DD did something similar.

Do your best to alleviate her fears and promise to be in contact daily. And then be in contact. She's just worried.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Don't go please listen to your mom.
    rayna_82

Answer by rayna_82 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm going. So all of you ladies saying it's a bad idea and not to go, sorry but I'm going. There's nothing wrong with traveling. I have wanted to travel my entire life, at 5 years old I was begging my mom to take me somewhere and she's never even taken me out of the state....at SEVENTEEN I finally got to go to Florida and that was with my grandparents. I am going to live my life. I'm going to a safe area of the country to stay with someone that I know and I see no problem with it.

I do understand her fears but I'm not going to change my mind simply because she was too afraid to travel herself...she never went anywhere...she's only been to Ohio and Kentucky, I refuse to be like that and i have friends traveling to Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, JAPAN, and even Israel so why can't I go to Guate?

I want to see the world, there's so much out there to see, I've got all the books on the countries, I'm spoken with the embassy about
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• it and i've spoken with many American's that have gone both recently and years ago and my friend Brit just went on a class trip to Guate for 6 weeks.

I will be fine.

I jsut want to know how to ease her mind. That is all. Don't try to change my mind, please.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I took off for Europe on my own when I was 18, had a great time, and until I was married, spent as much time as i could there , only once taking a friend with me . I was never raped or murdered there . The only places I would avoid are war zones and Mexico.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm surprised at how many people are telling you not to go! I love travel, and when I was your age I had a blast traveling all over Europe for a couple months with my best guy friend who was from Germany, and I've traveled all over the world since then.

I think you should go! You have a trustworthy friend there who is a local. Show your mom that you are going to be cautious, and do things like enroll in the US Embassy's STEP program online before you go: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1129.html#registration

Also, does your friend still live at home? Perhaps he could have his mom write yours a letter or email and assure her that you will be safe. I think hearing from his mother may help ease her worries a lot, and make her realize that you will be fine.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011