If I'm ever able to buy a house, will I have a lien filed against it for food stamps/medicaid received in the past?

anonymous931

Asked by anonymous931 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• No, unless you were caught being fraudulent and are required to pay it back.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Never been fraudulent to receive them...just wondering if I'll be obligated to repay through any future personal property acquisition. Was told by a friend that if you receive public assistance and then buy a house, a lien is put against it and the house cannot be sold until the money if repayed.
    anonymous931

Comment by anonymous931 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• years ago I bought a house and dropped my foodstamps the food but kept medical and the county didn't say anything about
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Your friend is lying to you. The only way they would do that is if you defrauded the government. I know many people who were on PA, got off of it and later bought a home, NONE of them have a lein on that new house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I've heard of that before, It always struck me as odd, but I had this friend who had been on food stamps and other PA. She told her parents to leave their house only to her handicapped brother because she thought that anything left to her would be taken by the state. I never looked it up, but always thought it was weird. Isn't it supposed to be a hand up, not a debt to follow you for the rest of your life! But my guess would be at least one state did it that way at some point in the past. Or else where would multiple people come up with the idea?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011