Does God make deals?

let me start off by saying when i was a tenagers from 16 to 18 i was a total pot head. ok so when i was 18 and i got preggo w/ my son i stopped smoking. a few months after he was born, well he was almost a year old i started smoking again but only when i was not around my son adn when i was around dh. and then i wanted to have another baby, to told God that i would stop smoking pot if he gave me a healthy baby girl. not even 3 months later i was pregnante w/ my now 4 year old daughter! and now that my life has gotten very stress full i find myself wanted to smoke again i have not and more than likely will not, however while dh is not pressuring me to smoke he tell me that God does not make deals and that i should just live my life. what do ya'll think?

mamasmurf171

Asked by mamasmurf171 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• you shouldnt do it. But when you say "dh is not pressuring me to smoke " I get that you dh is still smoking. Which isnt good.
    Its probably a temptation by Satan to lure you away again, dont give in to it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i'm with your dh. i don't think God works like that. what if you'd had a baby boy (instead of your dd) and he had a heart condition?..would you still say it was a good-thing, that God gave you a child PERIOD because you quit smoking..or would you blame God and say he was teaching you a lesson, or wasn't listening to your pleas??
    its too open-ended for me to think of 'what ifs'. if you're not wanting to smoke pot again, then don't.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Obviously he does and he stayed true to his part of the deal. Sometimes our urges cause us to go back on our part of the deal (been there). That's why he sent Jesus. God knows we are weak creatures. God's not going to punish you for giving in to your urges. He's a loving and forgiving God. Every time I screw up I just ask him for Forgiveness and try again.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My thoughts based on my personal beliefs.

No.. God does not make deals.. God does not reward nor does God punish.. Most All the punishments/rewards we experience in life are of our own making. ((and yes,, I am a devout believer in God))

The choice to smoke pot or not is on you and you alone. The repercussions (good or ill) of doing so or not, are also on you and you alone.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i just wanted to say that it doesnt bother me that dh smokes, thats not y im temped, also i dont think it makes a difference but my lil girl does have svt ( sometimes her heart will beat super fast, i have it as well) and the ONLY reason y i havent smoked since my life went freaking crazy is because i feel like it i do God will take my dd from me.
    mamasmurf171

Comment by mamasmurf171 (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would'nt do it
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 6:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You need to do what you told God you would do. God will love you no matter what, but you told Him you were going to do something, and you should try to stick with it. Pot is not going to take away your stress. It may make you feel good for awhile, but, it might make things worse for you overall. Try praying some more. God does not give us more than we can handle, and He is willing to catch us when we are falling. Pray for help in the area of wanting to smoke again. Tell Him how you are feeling about it. Also, since it is an illegal drug, you could get into trouble for doing it.
    jtruax

Answer by jtruax at 6:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Sister, just bear down and fight the urge. Spend some time meditating... no, not the "ohhmmm...." meditation. Just stop what you're doing, go sit at a park and just think, "God made me. I am divine design. I am loved for me. I am loved for who I am." Any time I'm struggling with a temptation, I go to my Bible, and remind myself why I'm making the choices I'm making. Good luck to you, girl.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• to jtruax its not illegal everywhere
    mamasmurf171

Comment by mamasmurf171 (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't believe in a personified deity who makes deals. However, I also don't think that means that we are free to throw caution to the wind and do whatever pleases us. We have responsibilities to other people in our lives as well.

I'm not strongly anti-pot... I do recognize that it's illegal where I live, that being caught with it could open up a can of worms that would impact my children whom I am responsible for, and thus I choose not to partake in it. Has nothing to do with deals, or beliefs, or anything of that nature... it has everything to do with my appraisal of my own responsibilities as a mom.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011