Are you happy with your child's public schooling?

Pros and Cons?

lore_tex

Asked by lore_tex at 6:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• In general, I'm happy. I'm in Ontario, my kids are going through the public school's French Immersion system and I'm very glad they are learning a second language. My two major complaints: in my province, the cut-off dates for starting school are Dec 31st. If you are four before that, you go to junior kindergarden. One of my girls has a Dec 20th b-day and she is the very youngest in her class, and is tiny to boot. I would have preferred the option to start her a year later but it's not possible... the best I could do was have her skip jk and then put her straight into sk the following year (where she would still be the youngest, and would have missed a year of curriculum on top of that.) The other con is the fact that there are LONG waiting lists for certain services... my son has learning disabilities and we ended up paying out of pocket for an OT assessment/treatment rather than wait a year or two!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I love my kids' public school. It's our first year at this school and it's been great. Compared to the Catholic school they went to the last 3 years it is 10 times better. They left the small (avg. 22 kids per class with just 1 classroom per grade) Catholic school so far behind it was sad. Their public school as about 4 classrooms per grade with about the same size (20-22 kids in each class) but they are excelling now. My 9yo son left 2nd grade barely reading at an upper kindergarten level despite tutoring and Title I help. He's now at an upper 2nd grade level. Still not where he should be but a major improvement. My 8yo dd was also only reading at a kindergarten level at the end of 1st grade and at PTC a couple weeks ago her teacher and the Title I teacher said she's about ready to move into 2nd grade level books. If they stayed at their old school they would have fallen more behind.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• What's going on with that? I have mine in priate school but for language reasons.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes
    My son has autism. I moved to a district that has a great autistic support program. He is doing well. It helps that I am familiar with special education laws so they know I know what they HAVE to do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes! I had my daughter in a private school when she was younger. When she reached high school age she wanted to attend a large public high school and I let her. She has been very happy at the public school because there's a variety of different kinds of kids. There are also a ton of clubs and sports at her school and she has the option of taking AP classes. She's a junior this year and my son will go to the same school next year as a freshman.
    cege

Answer by cege at 6:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes, I am happy with it now. When we were in GA, I didn't like it too much. But, Texas schools are good and my girls are/will be doing dual language so they will be learning in English and Spanish. Cons: they pick up some bad habits from the other children but, that is it. Pros: the teachers actually care
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The public schools where I live are so bad that we homeschool instead. I would never send my children there.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• not the one my 7th grade is in he has a 504 and they dont follow it and give me all kinds of problems
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I love my son's school, his teacher is great. He also had a great teacher last year.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 3:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2011