Does anyone feel like they just don't belong in this world?

I believe in God. I care about people and their feelings. I always try to be kind to others, and I always am happy to see people living happy, abundant lives. However, inside I am very sad because I am not living the joyous, abundant life I would like to live. I often feel as if I just do not belong in this world - as if there is no place for me. I am a stay-at-home mom (which I love being), and I have a wonderful husband who works very hard to provide for us. Yet we still cannot afford a house, my child cannot have a dog (because we live in an apartment that does not allow dogs), and we have had no luck in finding an affordable, suitable apartment even though we have been diligently searching for over a year. I also often am struggling to pay my bills. I feel there is no hope at things getting better, because they haven't so far, and I pray and pray, yet things have yet to change for the better. Sometimes it feels like we are being punished by not being able to move or get our child a pet. Plus, my husband has been having very bothersome, uncomfortable tinnitus in his ears and all he does is work, so we don''t spend that much time together as a family. It is all very depressing. Then I see not-so-great, or not so nice, people with houses, dogs, more money and time with their spouses and I ask myself, "why them and not us"? I walk around every day feeling an ache in my heart over all of this, feeling like I do not know what to do to change things- like I am a person who is just not equipped for this world, and I do not know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I sometimes feel like I was transported here from a time further in our further than where Im living at right now. About a 100 years from now is where I think I belong. The sheer number of people I encounter with no street smarts and little or no education or common sense life skills just boggles my mind as to how they have managed to survive up till now without getting themselves killed. But I am in the year 2011 and I just try and make the best of what I have with the time I have left. Ill be 45 this year and I feel like my life is half or more over already. Realistically It IS half over. And these first 44 years have gone by in a blink!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• On the other hand, though, there are people all over the world who have no roof over their head, whose children are starving to death, who have no medical care, who live in desperate poverty and in danger of physical violence on a daily basis. Sometimes it's a matter of perspective whether we have it 'good' or 'bad' and it can help to shake up that perspective.

Realistically, have you ever wondered about depression and talked to your doctor? I have had issues with depression since childhood... for me it's often a feeling of emptiness, of restlessness, of an inability to be happy in spite of the fact that I KNOW I am so fortunate to have so much. It's all encompassing, but at the same time by now I am aware that it is not ME... it's not always something within my ability to control.

I hope this doesn't come across condescending- I'm not meaning it to me. ((HUGS)) and I hope you are able to find peace and happiness.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I totally understand what you are saying and I too felt that same way. We have a house now but that is after a lot of hard work but that doesn't mean its all gravy either. Sometimes life is just not fair and I don't get how some people can get things while others don't but realize that is just life. You belong here just as much as anyone else. You are important and just because they have these things doesn't mean their life is all that great
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Your child is not missing out on some big secret due to the inability to have a pet. Instead of focusing on the things you do not have, try focusing on the things you do have. Everything happens for a reason and you can pray until you are blue in the face but if you don't make the correct decisions then sometime prayers aren't answered. Maybe you have a lesson to learn, or maybe it's as simple as you are looking at things the wrong way. You can't look at someone else's life and ask why not me and expect the things to fall in your lap....I've learned that the way things look on the outside is rarely how they truly are....and I agree with Freela, you sound like you have a bit of depression going on....remember to count the blessings that you have in your life, not those that you want....and maybe things will start to change. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You are whining (yes, you are) because you don't have what the media (news, women's magazines, movies, etc.) tells that you are "supposed" to have. House, dog and 2.5 kids.

You need to stop and look at what you DO have compared to so many others living in this country. You have a place to live. You are not out on the streets living in your car or a homeless shelter. You have a husband who obviously cares about you and your family or he would not be working so hard despite the fact that he has the ringing in his ears.

Yes, I may sound harsh, but you don't need to be coddled, you need to SNAP OUT OF IT! It is not healthy for you or your family. If you can't, then you need to find someone to help you ... a therapist, doctor, your minister or just a friend.

I sincerely hope that you can snap out of it and enjoy what you have right in front of you instead of wasting your life wishing for what you don't have. Good Luck.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You need to get out and get moving- you also need to see your doctor because you sound depressed-

The longing for what you do not have is keeping you from enjoying what you do have- my most joyful times are the most simple- a walk with my boys- enjoying the outdoors- if I spend too much time inside I get all kooky-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Honey, you need to see a doctor. You sound like text book depressed. Please, be openminded and try some antidepressants or something. Keep your home well lit. Get lots of fresh air. And eat healthy. It makes a difference. I know you feel trapped, but don't let it consume you. You will feel better, and you will look back and go, "what was I thinking!" If you need to talk PM me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I know exactly how you feel. Financial worries are enough to keep anyone constantly stressed out. Due to a legal battle we are currently involved in, our savings are gone (had to pay the lawyer). Hubby works all the time and often volunteers on Saturdays so he can get some over-time. So we don't get the family time we'd like either. My son is in the Marine's and boarded a plane today heading for Japan. I didn't even get to kiss and hug him and say good-bye before he left. ( long story). My house is falling apart, I have medical problems...you get the picture. Trials and tribulations are a part of life. Having a pity party won't make things better. Been there, done that. These other ladies are right--you've got to look at what you do have instead of what you don't. I'm sure you wouldn't have to look very far to see someone who's alot worse off than you. I wish you the best. Message me anytime.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You simply can not sit and feel sorry for yourself Mama. I know a lot of us may see harsh but it is only because most of us have been where you are now. I agree, you have to look at what you do have....a beautiful child, husband who loves you, and a roof over your head. So what if you have to rent right now, it is your home. The home is not the walls or roof it is YOU, it is your family, it is the memories. Now it is time to go and create some GREAT times and see that glass as half full.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You need to talk to someone.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011