Scared of anesthesia

Although I had several procedures where I had to be put under anesthesia it is still frightening. I am scared to death literally. I don't want to be put under if I have to end up getting a c-section. Anybody else afraid of this? BTW No I cannot get an epidural because of a spinal surgery I had.

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was scared and woke up with a case of apnea.. it super sucked! if you have been under before the chances of having an reaction are slim to none.. try not to worry about it and just focus on the good part, your baby will be here soon!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 6:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• No it doesn't scare me at all. Do not stress about it, I hope you don't have to get one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have been put under three times and it still scares me. My advice: talk with he anethesiologist, ask him to tell you when he/she is going to administer the anethesia, and what to expect. The first I got it I was on a tabl eand they asked how I was feelign and bam my eyes opened and I was in another room in pain, it was awful so now I ask them to tell me so I'm not shocked. But bottom line is, you'll wake up and have a beautiful baby and you'll soon forget all the anxiety you felt. Plus practices some relaxation techniques and keeping S/O nearby helps too
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I am scared to death of being put to sleep. My blood pressure sky rockets!!!! I make sure anything I need to put put out for I tell the Dr well in advance and the day of the procedure. The last time I was put out was for my Hysterectomy and they gave me a shot of Valium and I still was a nervous wreck The ended up giving me a 2md shot and I dont even remember going to the surgery room. Some people like me are just really high strung. I have to be sedated to do dental work of any kind. Even a routine cleaning. Im a chicken shit as my hubby says. Just tell the Dr's and or nurses of your fears. It's better to talk about them than to clam up and be a wreck all alone.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• everything will be fine relax and enjoy your beautiful new baby. I had a c-section and was completely under when I woke up just fine and my baby was perfect.
    rayna_82

Answer by rayna_82 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thank you mama's :)
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Explain this and ask your doctor if you can have the name and number of the group/doctor who will do the anesthesia. Then call and ask if you can go in for an early consultation to dicuss this. Or at least get a call back. Have your questions ready. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I am also very frightened by being "knocked out". The firs ttime I needed it was for a tooth extraction and at age 20, I bawled like a baby in the waiting room at the dentist's office. If you knew me, you'd know I am NOT a crier...I don't cry in front of anyone, even my husband if I can help it. So I was terrified. The second time was scary, but I was more worried about the procedure being done than the anesthesia, lol. Anyways, just trying to relate so you know there are plenty of others who are scared too. You'll be fine!!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I am scared of needles and being put under that's one reason I had my kids natural.
    amanda81919

Answer by amanda81919 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• well I am scared to, I dont think anyone is excited about it
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011