Can my too attached 14 month old adjust to daycare?

My son is 14 months old and i just found out i was pregnant again, which means i'll have to get a job and put him in daycare, but he screams his head off if he even thinks i'm leaving, let alone dropping him off at a strange place for 5-7 hours a day? Has anyone else been thru this and does it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it works. I worked in a day care and we had a 20 month old that started. He hated it. He would cry and cry at first then be OK during the day. then cry at the end of the day when he saw the other kids leaving. after a week he was doing much better. Two weeks, he didn't cry any more. It just takes time for them to adjust. But I guarantee they are not crying all day. They do have lots of fun with the other kids. Kids are smart, they know if they cry you will feel bad for them. :) Try it out, then stop by a few hours later (just avoid nap time) to check on him. You'll see he's doing fine. Just make sure he doesn't see you! :)
    Anonymous

• I have been on the teacher side of this and trust me he will be okay. Just thoroughly check out the daycare. And try to bring him early the first few days so you can watch from outside the room to see how they handle him if he is upset, just be sure to be where he cannot see you. Usually kids will have a great time in the new environment with all those new toys and friends to check out for the first couple of days, then cry for a few days when they realize that mom is leaving, then go back to being okay when they realize that mommy always comes back.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the others that he can and will adjust. It takes consistency, of course. But, if daycare makes you uneasy, you can always hire a babysitter to watch him in his own environment and in his own home. You don't have to pay very much either. I was a full time nanny for a lady who had one daughter and she paid me $200 a week. The little girl was in her own home with her own food and toys and bed for nap times. It was a lot better. It was still hard on the little girl to see her mother and father leave her at home, but she got used to it.
    Desperate4God

Answer by Desperate4God at 5:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes, it's a great idea. Socializing outside the home. Don't put your mascara on till after you leave for the first week or so tho. You may cry as much as he does.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2008