Why do so many women turn down 'Natural Birth'?

i understand it hurts like nothing else in this world, but for thousands of years there were near to none of the 'methods' used today. also, when using these 'methods', is it true that you can 'almost miss or feel left out of your own birthing experiance' from being too medicated? i've read about both sides but have never heard answer from actual Mommys.

jayme009

Asked by jayme009 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• popcorn

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think you just answered your own question.  For thousands of years the meds weren't available, well, now they are. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I wanted to go without epidural when I was pregnant with my daughter I tried, and then all the way up to having her I had such HUGE Horrible Very, very painful contractions and in mind knowing that they could stop with some good medicine I did! Just what anyone would want. NO pain. I didn't miss out on pain at all! Women are scared shirtless to deliver naturally. Although we are meant to do it so we are okay!
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 7:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with MS.Huston! We can use the methods now! :) Thank Goodness
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 7:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• here is an answer from an actual mommy - i had an epidural with my first vaginal birth, and still felt alot, still felt myself pushing and when i needed to push, and did not feel like i missed out on anything. my last two babies were c-sections so an epidural/spinal tap was kind of mandatory.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have experienced both....and sorry sister, but I would choose an epidural again and again. Women experience pain differently, I am one that not only feels pain 10x's worse than it actually is, I have panic attacks and blackouts ....so yep drug me or knock me out....I don't judge how someone chooses to have their children, it's their own business....Thousands of years ago there was no electricity it doesn't mean that I would choose to live like that now..ya know. (oh and as an after thought, i would choose childbirth over a toothache any day.)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• why bring yourself through physical pain if you don't have to? 'missing' out on natural birth only lasts a few moments..you have your whole life to make up for it!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I had an epi and plan to have another. I feel like modern medicine is a gift from god and I'm all about taking advantage of it :) i didn't feel left out of my own labor/birth, on the contrary I was able to enjoy it immensely. I could have a civil discussion with the doctor about what was going on. My husband and I sat together and wrote letters to the new baby and talked about our fears, etc. I could still feel pressure (but no pain) so I knew when to push and everything.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 7:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Would you get a tooth pulled without medication? Or get a bladder infection and not treat it? Times have changed!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Because I was SOOOOO tired after 18 hours of labor and I needed some rest to have enough energy to push when the time came. Back in the day women DIED in childbirth too. I think we've come a long way.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011