How do you stop yourself from eating at night other then will power

i got the weight loss surgery and every since then i never feel full and im always hungry i eat like every five minutes and now ive been staying up real late cant sleep so ive been eating alot later now

flipper4u21

Asked by flipper4u21 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• When I get the urge to eat and I know I should't I brush my teeth so then I won't want to eat.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Drink a glass of water then wait & see if you are still hungry. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't, I have no will power...but not buying junk food at the store helps. If I wake up and don't see anything I like or anything that is a quick fix, I head off back to bed. Stock plenty of bananas or apples...then you can snack healthy.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I try what the other two ladies said, if that doesn't work then I eat plain crushed ice
    rayna_82

Answer by rayna_82 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I as well, brush my teeth and use mouth rinse, floss... the whole works. I find it yucky to eat or drink after that! Also, if you feel the need to snack, drink a big glass of water. Sometimes your body confuses thirst with hunger. It works for me. Good Luck!!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You need to figure out why. Are you bored? Stressed? Upset? Find the root cause and work on that. If you're truly hungry, maybe you need to start journaling what you eat. What are you eating? Studies show that it's volume not amt of calories that helps people feel satisfied. So having a large salad (with reasonable amt of dressing if you need it) is more filling that a tiny slice of pizza.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• well first of all thank you and actually i eat ice all day and night i also cant have carbonation and i dont like koolaide so i just chew on ice all the time and actually salads r one of the meals i eat quite often and its not for any other reason then during sum procedures dealing with my surgery they stretched the whole where the food leaves my stomach so as soon as i put it in it leaves as to why i never feel full and am always hungry
    flipper4u21

Comment by flipper4u21 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You might want to meet with a nutritionist, since you've had gastric surgery, just to make sure you're meeting your needs and you can adapt your diet to keep this successful. You might also want to find a support group for people who have had gastric surgery, just so that you can get that support and get ideas that work for people. It's a special situation. Many people never feel full after the surgery, which is one reason they sometimes fail. You CAN stretch out your stomach, and you don't want to do that. You can come up with healthy snacks that might be okay to indulge in occasionally, but you need to break the habit of snacking at night. Weight loss isn't just about diet and exercise, it's also about behavior modifications and changes. You HAVE to get out of that habit.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• well thank you and i do see the dietician and stuff at my surgery center and ive lost 150 lbs and im really keeping it off i fluxuate between a couple lbs but i dont want to start putting it back on and im tired of eating all the time i use to not leave home without my pepsi before the surgery now i never leave home without food
    flipper4u21

Comment by flipper4u21 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I brush my teeth and go to bed early if I find it getting hard to control my urges. Then I lay in bed and tell myself that I will treat myself to a large breakfast in the AM. Usually it just ends up being a normal-sized breakfast, but mentally giving myself the permission to have pancake with lots of syrup or bacon in the morning is enough to satisfy me into not eating at night.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011