Spinoff of the nail polish questions...

Okay, a lot of you moms are posting how you're fine with nail polish. Some of you had said that you would never let your DS wear girls clothes. Okay, so what if your DS is transgendered? What if he believed with all his being that he was born in the wrong gender? What then?

GothicChk52

Asked by GothicChk52 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honestly, i can't even answer this...this is one of those questions that you can think you would do something, but you can't know unless you live it....I definitely would be follow the advice of a very good counselor.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I missed the previous questions...depending on his age I'd explain to him how DNA works. You either have the xx or the xy chromosome. In instances where a child has both female and male parts (or no parts at all--not sure if that's been heard of) then I would let them choose.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Renee3K, you do know that being trans is a medically proven condition, right? So, you would tell your child that it's all in their head? Not meaning to sound rude, just trying to understand...
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• kitchenwitch, I think that is a very honest answer, I like that a lot.
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My son has worn dresses a thousand times and Ive even painted his toes when Ive done his sister's toes. They play dress up, sometimes hes Iron Man and sometimes he puts on his sisters outfits. Hes 4, Im not worried about it. If hes gay...oh well, thats him and I love him either way.
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 7:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Medically proven by who?  It seems whenever someone does a study and something is "proven", some one else does a study that says it isn't.  Playing dress up is great.  For my son to actually tell me that he thinks he's born in the wrong body, I'd get him counceling first and foremost.  I'd love him regardless of course but no I would not be okay with it.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• "Renee3K, you do know that being trans is a medically proven condition, right? So, you would tell your child that it's all in their head? Not meaning to sound rude, just trying to understand..."

If my son was born with a penis and a penis only, had the XY chromosome, and thought he should have been born a girl instead, then yes. I'd have to say it was all in his head. ::shrugs::
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Wow...
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• what about it? your question is a little confusing. would i be ok with him wearing nail polish and wearing girl clothes if he were transgendered? or would i be ok with him being transgendered, period?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Well, either way, honestly. What's your take on your child being trans, and what would you do if he wanted to dress like a girl after telling you he feels he is a girl.
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011