I want to couponing, Any tips?

Been watching the show "Extreme Couponing' It is awesome how much they save! My husband & I want to start, just dont know where to start really. I know we can get the sunday newspaper, and print coupons from online. But whats the rules? Like, you can only use one coupon per item right? And is there a limit to how many coupons you can use at once or anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Shopping

• There's a lot of info....

most stores have a limit on how many of the exact same coupons you can use...my stores are 3...so if I had 4 coupons for progresso soup, I wouldn't be able to use the 4th coupon (unless it was different). Some stores have their own coupons, which in most circumstances CAN be stacked with a manufacturer coupon. If the store has a 30 cent off coupon for the progresso soup, and you have a 50 cents off coupon for the same soup, you'd get 80 cents off at the register. Some stores will double coupons. Mine double everyday, 55 cents and under. So when I see a coupon for 55 cents, I see it as really being $1.10 off. Go to your store wesites and check out their coupon policy...most have them on the site!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• ALL stores have a coupon rules FAQ page on their sites.
    Go "like" all of the coupon, savings, freebie sites on Facebook.
    Most coupons list the rules for it on it.

DO NOT use those on that show as your example. The lady J'aime on the last episode was committing fraud.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• - The show is great motivation. But I think alot of non-ethical things go on (and J'aime is NOT a couponer! She is a right out THIEF in my eyes).. So be reasonable & remember every penny saved is a penny earned! :) ...
    -It takes time to learn (im a newbie as well).
    - Its MOST important to learn your stores coupon policy. Do they double/triple coupons? What is the stacking policy? Do they price match? Accept competitors coupons? Online Coupons? If you go to kroger (check ur store) there is electronic coupons to put on your "store reward card".... Some you can look on their site. but its best to call your local store. or ask them to email/mail them a policy.
    - It takes time to stock up on coupons.. It takes time to understand when sales are best.
    Sale/Lowest Price+ coupons = Best deal. Just taking a coupon to the store is good. but if u can buy at lowest price is best.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• - Never try to ripoff your store just because you can get away with it (ehh J'aime)
    -Check out this site: hip2save.com -- watch her videos, they are GREAT for newbies & explains alot...Another nice place for newbies is http://thekrazycouponlady.com/beginners/.... and there is.. Mylitter.com -- she was on TLC & has her own site (she shared the show with J'aime")..

Start slow. Dont buy stuff you usually would not unless you know it will get used. Try to just save $10 your first time & then make your goals higher every time you grocery shop...

Good luck! I just started about 3wks ago & last week I saved about $30 on $200(ish) worth of stuff... I still have ALOT of learning to do!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think the show is stupid cuz no way in hell would a store allow you to walk out almost for free and use all those coupons...I'm sorry it's a little far fetched if you ask me. Is J'aime the blonde w short hair the long black hooker boots? I know for a fact walmart will not triple coupons and they do have a limit on coupons you can only use 100 coupons total and they have to be manufactured. I agree with using coupons for only stuff you use but not going absolutly crazy and buying shit that willnever get eaten and expire.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I started couponing a few months ago and I am already doing really well.

Yes you can walk out with things absolutely free. But not everything will be and that is a big thing people miss. I will end up paying a little here and there for a great deal. I suggest the binder method which you can get a baseball card binder at Wal-Mart with the card sleeves already in it if you go over to the baseball card section. I love http://thekrazycouponlady.com/ for her printable dividers. The put in a folder or two. I keep one for just store coupon policies. You need to update those often and know them well. Respect these if you want the store to respect you. The store can stop your couponing at it's own discretion. That is always a basic rule. The second folder I put my sales fliers in with my coupon envelope paper clipped to it for when I shop. Always carry this binder with you into the store to check against clearance items.
    MoonNStars

Answer by MoonNStars at 5:39 AM on May. 27, 2011

• The biggest thing I found is that I was suddently avoiding buying in bulk. I could get a coupon for a dollar off Q-Tips and the store has them on sale for a dollar but it is the small pack. I have ten coupons but the store will only let me get five at a time. So I bring my mother. She buys five and I buy five. I go home with ten. We are separate households in accordance with their rules. I have had them check my license to ensure this. Plus I found that going to smaller stores like CVS and Walgreens and Rite-Aid gives me better deals because I can stack coupons and sales. But they limit the amount of product you can buy. So I will go every day when I take the kids to the park if I have the coupons. Also don't clear the shelves if you can help it. That just leaves people really pissed and they will hault you immediately. I have seen this happen with a woman.
    MoonNStars

Answer by MoonNStars at 5:43 AM on May. 27, 2011