What is the likely hood I will get post-partum depression again?

NTAMS

Asked by NTAMS at 7:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't know exact statistics but probably likely since you have a history of it but good news is you know what the signs are now and can get help sooner right?
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• youre at an increased risk to have it a second time. The good news is, you know what to look for so you can treat it. I am dealing with the same thing right now. I am pregnant with my second son and I had it after my first son was born. Talk to your dr, let them know your concerns, and they will help you and give you more information!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Google placental encapsulation. It can help you fend it off better than doing nothing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Anyone with a history of depression is at an increased risk of developing PPD. Because you already had it, it is even more likely. Start with therapy as soon as you can and inform your doctor of your history, so that he can accurately assess you. If you found a medication that worked on you before, it may be a good option for you to start again (if you are not breastfeeding), after you have the baby.

Just keep an open dialogue going, and be sure to talk about it if it does come up.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• thats the thing I never dealt with it the first time just lived with it. In fact Post-partum is the reason i havent tried again in almost 8 years. I couldnt tell anyone how I was feeling and felt horrified by my thoughts and actions. Before during and after that pregnancy I was being physically and emotionally abused by his father. Hell while I was in the hospital for two weeks while they tried to keep the baby in longer he was out laid up with two differnt women that week. I left him almost 3 years ago. I have a new Man who is attentive, doesnt put his hands on me, and he always trys to make me feel good. This one I believe will be sensitive and supportive and I know he wont hit me in my pregnant belly. I thinking that all of this will ease it this time.
    NTAMS

Comment by NTAMS (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2011