Do your political views affect your relationships with family and friends? Do you not associate with others that belong to a particular political party?

If so, why and how?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Luckily my political views are right there along with my boyfriend and kinda on the same page as my family. I dont think it should be a big deal, its kinda of a personal thing sometimes. If someone doesnt like your views, you dont like theirs, just talk about something else. I do associate with people of different parties.
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 7:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My husband and I are total opposites... we just dont discuss it.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• One of my siblings found the wrong sort of religion and turned into a person with much the same ideas as the cabal here. I avoid talking politics to her, because when I do I just end up losing respect for her
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Most of my family and friends share the same views. The few that don't we generally don't discuss politics together. Not because we can't we just prefer to keep it civil when we're together, which is not very often.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• As far as my husband? pretty much the same views. I wouldn't have married someone that didn't share my values
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• sometimes you can't control who your family is..or your clientele..or your neighbors.
    but, no, my political views don't usually screw around with my relationships. (well, i did break up with a longtime gf over her politically-motivated lifestyle..long story..she didn't like what i finally told her it was ME buttering her bread, KWIM?)
    i don't usually inquire of a person's political stance, or religion, when i choose to associate with them.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would be considered...EXTREMELY Liberal. Most of my relatives are EXTREMELY Conservative Republicans. I try to just keep my mouth shut and move along.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My family and I have alot of the same views. My SO and I have some different religious views but we talked about them and honestly we don't argue about them. I respect all views of people...
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My family and I all straddle middle, even though some actually claim "Republican" and some actually claim "Democrat". We vote for both parties, as well. My mom is Democrat who just loves Bush and my Dad is a Republican who loves Obama . . enough to get involved in the campaign!

I have alot of friends who are liberal on either one side or the other. We debate alot. It's okay because we are all stubborn and crunchy, and don't hold back. It is hard, though, when we are socializing with someone new . . .and they come out with some ludicrous radical mumbo-jumbo . . . I want to start debating, but don't know whether or not they will get offended or not.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It would be hard for me to be married who didn't share a basic political philosophy. Do we agree on all points?..NO way. It makes for lively discussion. We can pick it apart to the nitty gritty because we both know how to debate and control ourselves. We can disagree without it ever getting personal. Lots of people can't do that. Aside from my husband I only have 2 friends I can discuss politics with. Everyone else just takes it personally and lashes out. I have many friends from many political views. In fact most of the people I grew up with have a viewpoint 180' from my own. I've said many times. I don't care how you vote...as long as you vote. The first thing I ask someone who wants to begin a political discussion is "Did you vote in the last election?" If they say no I say Good Bye..No vote..no bitching rights.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011