Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I just got on food stamps

and I don't know what they will do with my child support. They told me it would have to go through child support enforcement and child enforcement would send me a check, not telling me that they might take some of it but I have found out that in some states they do. When I applied, I counted my child support as income and based off of that I get $289 a month. Can they take part of my child support? Currently that is the only income I have (only $400 a month) so I can't really do without it. I live in Fl if this helps

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • Can you check with your case worker? The rules get so complicated and even though its a federal progam I hink it vaires from state to state. Good Luck

    Answer by meooma at 8:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • Check the DHHS website for your state it may tell you there (while you wait on a call back from the case worker if your state is anytihng like I've heard about in mine...)

    Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 8:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • I only know if you get a welfare check not stamps. The child does count how many stamps you get each month.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 8:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • In my state the child support is counted as income. If you are on cash assistance then you have to get child support, they make you. Does that make sense? But I never heard of the welfare office taking child support. And I have worked and helped a lot of my clients apply for assistances and never seen this. I am in Pennsylvania

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • The welfare office doesn't take child support but the office that is working on your child support case will take the child support if you are already on cash assistance. My daughter's father only paid in twice and both payments went to the government to pay back what I get for TANF.

    Answer by proudmom2510 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • dont know, you should have asked them. But I would think that they dont take your child support money but rather cut you food stamps lower if it reaches a certan abount.

    Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.