Do you think that Teen Mom on MTV sensationalizes teen pregnancy?

Being a teen mom, well not that I am anymore, but I was with my first (who is now a senior in high school). I know it wasn't the cool thing then. Not that we were shunned or kicked out of school but it wasn't like it was something to be proud of. Although I did graduate high school and college. But I just wondered what you think of the show and what it's teaching our children.

chnkychic76

Asked by chnkychic76 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• To a degree I think the show shows that the relationships don't always, heck usually, last and that there are struggles. There's also health concerns with one of the babies from this most recent season. But I don't think it focuses enough on those. From working recently in the school system with teenagers I think the upcoming generations would do anything for fame, and I think this may be giving them yet another avenue.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 8:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think that it's showing the real deal. Like Leah having being a teen and having a baby that has medical problems. And how they all (mostly) are struggling and having to have a job, missing out on their teen years cause instead they have to be a mom..Unless your name is Janelle lol

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• what i think is bad is the fame they go on the show looking for..personally when I watch the show I thank god I am not them! I am not a teen mom and imagine it would be hARD....
    Anonymous

• some yes. Soem kids might think they can be famous too. Dont know.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I know raising my daughter was nothing like what they portray. I was very lucky that she didn't have problems and my pregnancy was a breeze. I wouldn't change a thing. I can't say I wouldn't have married her father because than I wouldn't have her sister. But the relationships definitely grow apart. In our case one of us grew up and the other didn't and still hasn't.
    chnkychic76

Comment by chnkychic76 (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have recently seen the moms from the show on the covers of tabloid magazines. Because of this, I think the show is sensationalizing their pregnancies. Also, all of the follow up shows, etc. gives the girls a lot of extra attention.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with LittleBirdFly. Im a teen mom myself and it is not that dramatic at all. Hard at times- yes, but I think the producers exaggerated the drama to prevent teens from getting pregnant via scare tactic.
    newmommy10.5.10

Answer by newmommy10.5.10 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• No i dont think it will make anyone WANT to get pregnant.
    I wasnt a teen mom. but from watching the show it imo shows that getting pregnant WONT keep the man. If anything it may push them away.. Your friends disappear & you have less in common.. Medical problems may occur, and if having 1 is scary enough what happens when you have 2x the joy!!

If a teen WANTS to get pregnant they will see the brighter side of the show if that is what they are looking for. And they will try to see the glamour in it all... Teens live in their own "perfect- nothing will go wrong & it will be just like i see in my fairy tale" world..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I personally think it sensantionaizing teen pregnancy to a degree, that is the reason I will not watch the show.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 10:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2011