Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am looking for information on other forms of general anesthesia,does anyone have any ideas? I am allergic to it. adult content

July 2010, went into my tiny bathroom, sat, did my task went to get up and fell to the floor. I tried to convince myself it was a broken foot I had been dealing with, my son 33 who is disabled tried to help but I told him to call the rescue, they came, got me up and I convinced them I was fine. On the four call, I had to have them take me to the hospital and knew it wasn't the foot but no idea what happened. I remember the ride in shruggingrescue, I remember my son with me but at the hospital they wanted an MRI done, I could not move so they gave me a shot of something. I next remember being in a different hospital and was told I had surgery and after that it is a blank aside from my reactions.(nasty) 30 days in hospital. Any ideas anybody because the same situation can happen again and I feel like a time bomb.

Answer Question

Asked by chillywilly10 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Health

Level 7 (189 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • they didnt tell you anything what it could have been? Maybe you just passed out? stress heat etc?

    Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • Are you worried about the initial incident or the reaction to the anasthesia? Some people have very violent reaction to anasthesia. What you should do is request a copy of your medical records for the surgery, make sure that includes the anasthesiologist report that lists the meds that he gave you IV. If you are going in for surgery again, be sure to give the anathesiologist a copy of that. they can choose to use a different medication. Tell your loved ones the info, as well . . .in case of an emergency situation, so they can alert the emergency physicians.

    What was the surgery for, did they tell you?

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • You need to get a copy of the doctor/hospital record and see what the exact medication was that was given to you and if they noted your reaction to it. Have this information with you whenever you have to fill out any kind of medical form especially for a surgery. I recently had minor surgery and the forms emphasized the area to list allergies to medications.

    Answer by elizabr at 8:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • I'm kind of confused...but to answer your basic title question, there are different kinds of anesthesia. My FIL is allergic to one ingredient in one, so anytime any of my kids have to have it we have to tell them to use the other kind. But it sounds like you need someone who can help you go through your record and see what happened - I really highly doubt anesthesia would have messed you up like that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

  • Thanks to all who answered, yes eventually I will need another surgery as I have spinal stenosis which is a narrowing of the disc in my spinal column from the neck to the well I will just say bottom. I do have the surgery reports and the reactions to the anesthesia which states that I am not a candidate for a normal method of putting me under, but for now the doctors say because they have to be guaranteed that I will not wake during surgery they have to do it the same say. The surgery in 2009 was not planned, it just happened, I did give permission to go ahead as my choices were either crippled for life and possible demise as when the discs pushed together it cut off circulation to the lower part of my body.

    Comment by chillywilly10 (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.